Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Erwin's 550 Liter LLT / 13 Hz / Maelström 18"

I finally brought myself to continue with the build. My last post on this was back in April 2010. All the peaces were cut and prepared, but no assembling was done. I dedicated all my (spare) time to building the house these SW are meant for. Roof is still not up, the weather in Belgium did us no favour and we started to late in the first place, due to the contractor of the concrete constructions. We now have to wait for a few days of dry weather and 24 hours of +5°C temperature so the glue of the EPDM could harden. So why not finish those SW while we hope for good weather, OK?

The house two weeks ago:

DSCN1338.jpg

The design of the two SW with Mike P's help

View attachment Ronse2010B_MaelstromSW4_JensenLCR.pdf

The floorplan of the HT zone, have to update it (I change all the time)

View attachment Ronse2010B_HTplan3.pdf

The link to the design proces:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/27065-sw-type-our-ht.html

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Erwin's 550 Liter LLT / 13 Hz / Maelström 18"

DSCN1348.jpg

After a day of assembly:
DSCN1349.jpg
DSCN1350.jpg

I'm not to fussy about the internal, as long as it's strong
DSCN1351.jpg
DSCN1352.jpg
DSCN1353.jpg

Note the cuts for the curve of the port exit
DSCN1354.jpg
DSCN1355.jpg
DSCN1356.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Very nice work. They are going to be BIG!
Just like the house! I like big, I am greedy...

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

As these towers are to be built in, I plan to simply screw the back on it. The screws are out of sight. But I think I need to use glue with it? To make it airtight and to prevent vibrations?

I changed the 18 mm sheetmaterial for the back from MDF to CDX multiplex (as we call it here). CDX is building grade (ugly) material, but it's lighter than MDF.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Here's progress: I worked on the ports. It was a bit of a task because of the curve. Some additional bracing will be added to enforce the curved section.
DSCN1362.jpg

DSCN1360.jpg

DSCN1358.jpg

DSCN1363.jpg

DSCN1359.jpg

DSCN1357.jpg

DSCN1361.jpg

Weather forcast is optimistic: warmer and dry. So the LLT's will have to wait a bit, so I can finish the roof + EPDM on top of the house.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I had a look again at Troels Gravesen DIY speaker website. I got the idea to build some "Jensen" LCR. I even have the Variovents for it already. But maybe I don't want the LCR to be built in-cabinet afterall. I read about the TQWT speakers (with a built-in downfiring horn). Fascinating. they come in a variety of sizes. So I could have large behemots for LR, a standmount with short feet as Centre, and the basic model (still full grown size) for surrounds! Also not expensive IMO, only about €1,000 kit price for a pair without cabinets.

DTQWT12-4.gif

Yeah, that's 1.5 meter high!

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/DTQWT-12.htm

Any thoughts about using these for HT with the LLT's I am building?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts

Wow what massive towers those speakers are. I bet you need a big room for those babies. Very nice indeed and $1000 for the kit. Sounds a good deal to me. Do they do a similar configured centre speaker to match because I think it is important to keep the same speakers/drivers up front and not mix it up.

Thos are big boxes matey for the subs. Are thos big flared ports?

Nice work mate.

cheers

Graham

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Graham,

I have the room: about 8,5 x 7 meters. It's the secundary living room on ground level. HT is the main function, but there's also a kitchen and dinner table in it. The floor plan is in the first post.

You couldn't do a center with a horn in it, I think. But there's another kit with the same front drivers/
QUATTRO_cab_B.GIF
It wont sound the same, but hopefully close enough. I'll ask Troels his opinion.

I believe in big speakers, no matter how good the SW are. You read everywhere that X at 80 Hz is enough due to lack of directionality of those low Frequencies. IMO, timing is everything. If on speaker is at 4 m and SW at 6 m, the sound will arrive at different time. Sure, AVR's can deal with this using time delay. But not for all speakers and for all seating positions at the same time. You end up with muddy sound. Enter big speakers! X at 40 Hz, rather than 80 Hz.

Indeed those are flared ports.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

A bit of progress: the double layer of birch baffle support that the Maelströms are to be attached to with screws are inserted and the first front panel was attached. I run out of lamello's so I need to get some more to attach the panel to the other SW. I tested the size of the Maelström.
DSCN1367_3.jpg

DSCN1366_3.jpg

DSCN1365_3.jpg

DSCN1368_3.jpg

DSCN1369_3.jpg

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Second front was glued on the frame.
Fiberglas stuffed into the top section to counter "the waves" (it's a tall design)
The backs are sealed with silicone and attached with ample screws, so in need these could be removed - with some difficulty.
The top flare of the port was enforced with solid wood
First layer of coating was applied: black plant-based oil from OSMO. I had the colour made for me (RAL9005) since I need it for the exterior of the ground floor cladding of the house. Very eco/green! A second layer will be applied tomorrow and then it has to harden a few days before the woofers go in!
Note the extra routering on the inside of the back I did for the ventilation of the motormagnet.
Used a build grade plywood 3/4" for the back and not MDF, to save some weight. It's invisible anyway.

Sorry about the dust on the lens...
DSCN1374.jpg

DSCN1375.jpg

DSCN1372.jpg

DSCN1371.jpg

DSCN1373.jpg

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Some more:
DSCN1379.jpg

DSCN1378.jpg

DSCN1377.jpg

DSCN1376.jpg

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

The updated floor plan of the HT is attached.

Troels Gravesen is working on a non-TQWT center with the same drivers, in horizontal MTM layout. I have reservations about this being horizontal, but one can always rotate the layout. I will ask for a bigger box, the design he sent me is even smaller than the QUATTRO (and has a JA8008 driver extra).

View attachment Ronse2010B_HTplan4.pdf

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

That will be quite the setup according to the PDF. Can't wait to hear what your impressions are when you are done.
Don't hold your breath: almost everything about the whole house is DIY! It will be at least a year from now before the room is finished. This will be the first finished room in the house since I have the kitchen (a leftover showroom model from a shop I ran in Antwerp until 2005...). You gotta eat, so it's a good idea to do this multifunctional space first IMO. Right after the toilet and bathroom is installed anyway...

The kitchen: All natural oak will be refinished to white.
It's basicaly a white room with a black section HT zone, where the front wall, the carpet, the ceiling, the speakers and the seats are pitch black (RAL 9005). Ceiling in the black zone shall be made from suspended DIY boxes stuffed with fiberglass, covered with black cloth.

We might run a B&B if the kids are not at home, so maybe some of you want to visit us? The region is the Mekka for Flemish cicling. Bike during the day, movie at night!

_ANTTLTAFEL.JPG

_ANTTLACHTER.JPG

1 - 20 of 77 Posts