Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: Erwin's 550 Liter LLT / 13 Hz / Maelström 18"

I e-mailed Troels Gravesen to ask which way to go for the Center speaker. He sent me a design for a smallish MTM design he is developing, using the same JA8008 midwoofer (x2) and the 034 tweeter. I made some remarks about it and he sent me a sketch of what a bigger center speaker might look like. He is prepared, against payback of his hours and material, to develop this for me. Seems only fair to me, and certainly don't have the skills to do it myself. My budget was €10,000 for the 10 or 11 (B&W) main speakers and we will stay far below that amount if I don't count my own labouring hours.

Think I will start the build of the first pair of 2-way TQWT sooner than later. To get the hang of it and to audition the result...

Troels gave permission to show his sketch without comment.

8008-2510-center_v1.GIF

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

I just ordered:
a/ The kit for the first pair of speakers, the TQWT
b/ A 2 x 80 Watt Class-A poweramp, something I always was curious about the sound. 80 Watt is absolutely enough since the TQWT designs are 95 dB sensitivity.

Now I started to doubt about the Height speakers. Maybe, instead of B&W CCM7.5 in-ceilings, it would be better to ensure timbre matching to use the same drivers as the rest for a bookshelf type. I could angle the shape to face the listener (22° vertical angle). Horizontal angle would be 35° off-axis.
The in-ceilings would have been @ 28° vertical (45° reccomended) and 45° horizontal (as reccomended).
Any suggestions?

BTW, to get the vertical angle perfect, the ceiling would have to be some 3m60 (12') minimum! Duh!

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

I asked Audyssey about the in-ceilings and Kris preferred the in-ceilings with their better positions over the bookshelved version with identical drivers but poorer positions.

I was looking for info on AT screen and I found this info on Seymoor AV:

You can place the speakers up to approximately two inches from the screen surface, as long as you don't have ports with high velocity airflow. The deeper the bass that the speakers behind the screen are reproducing, the more you space you should give between them and the screen. You can place a subwoofer behind the screen as long as it is spaced at least 12 inches away and no ports are directed at the screen.

Boy, my SW were way closer, but I did another redesign with AT screen. If I do this, the LCR wil have to be customized (size and x-over) to fit behind the screen and behave as intended.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Cabinets sort of finished except the woofers and another layer of black OSMO oil.

DSCN1383.jpg

DSCN1382.jpg

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Wow. You certainly have gone to a lot of effort there.
Nice work.... :T
Thanks... It's a never ending effort, at least for the next few years!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts

Erwin, what a project! I can't wait to see the finished room, and the rest of the house while we're at it! The subs look incredible, and since I have been reading a lot lately about 9.1 and 11.1 setups, I'm really eager to see how you implement it, and what you think when you're done.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Erwin, what a project! I can't wait to see the finished room, and the rest of the house while we're at it! The subs look incredible, and since I have been reading a lot lately about 9.1 and 11.1 setups, I'm really eager to see how you implement it, and what you think when you're done.
I will sure post when the room is progressing or finished, but it's almost all DIY, so it will take time!

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Here's a possible design for a center behind an acoustic transparent screen. But I need to discuss it with TG, so in the end it will certainly be different. The earlier alternative center below a non-AT screen is also still considered.

View attachment Ronse2010B_HTcustomCenter.pdf

The first Jantzen two-speaker kit arrived today for the TQWT 2-way design from Troels. Need to start building those cabinets to serve as Back Surrounds. Something simple to get the hang of it.

And received a package from Hong Kong containing one Jungson DURO class A stereo poweramp. $777 including shipping, but not duties and VAT. I want to compare the sound vs the Emotiva XPA-1. If there's not much audible improvement, the Jungson will go to my wife's office in the new house. Otherwise, it will power the very efficient L+R.

·
Registered
487 Posts

Wow... very cool

·
Banned
6 Posts

MaelX drivers behind screen? I wouldn't put screen right in front of driver nor port.
Isn't here a risk the screen will move if playing really low and loud?
Even a AT-screen wouldn't let that amount of air pass forth and back...
I'd place screen between drivers and ports...

If I get the time I think I will copy your specs and build som similar bass :eek:lddude:

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

MaelX drivers behind screen? I wouldn't put screen right in front of driver nor port.
Isn't here a risk the screen will move if playing really low and loud?
Even a AT-screen wouldn't let that amount of air pass forth and back...
I'd place screen between drivers and ports...

If I get the time I think I will copy your specs and build som similar bass :eek:lddude:
I did look into this and found recommendations to leave about 20 cm (8") of space, which I did. Hoping for the best...

·
Registered
61 Posts

WOW!!! :eek: The build looks amazing so far, as well as the home for them. I can't imagine how rewarding all of that will be once it all comes together, and you are sitting and enjoying a movie! Great work, and thank you for bringing this build for all of us to see! :D

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

WOW!!! :eek: The build looks amazing so far, as well as the home for them. I can't imagine how rewarding all of that will be once it all comes together, and you are sitting and enjoying a movie! Great work, and thank you for bringing this build for all of us to see! :D
You're welcome. And take my word, I have indeed been dreaming about being in the house when it's done. I think I"ll never ever leave the house. Just sit there in and round the house, order food, movies and music on the internet. Maybe start a B&B to meet people without having to get out the house myself...

·
Registered
61 Posts

Sounds like a great plan! Aside from gettin out to get some sun, it looks like you will have everything you need right there at your finger tips. On top of the B&B, you could also occasionally play a movie and charge admission for anyone wanting to experience what a hand built home theater can really do!

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Erwin, are those two 12" woofers in the custom centre speaker? Oh my. :)
Yes, they are! It's still under discussion, but I want to use the same drivers in there as the L&R, which are the DTQWT-12 designs from Troels Gravesen. They're quite affordable woofers, about €100 each. I would like a very convinsing soundstage and I was told the 80-200 Hz region will benefit from these. The other, horizontale center is also possible.

Here's the link to see the towers an Italian person built. Unlike him, I will not be going the CNC route though. Note that the tweeter and midwoofer are on the front baffle, the two 12" woofers are on the back. They all load a central horn. This presents a challenge to invent a center that works with them. I know nothing about crossovers, so I need to use a proven design or make some expert crazy enough to do it for me...

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/DTQWT-12_Ferraioli.htm

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

·
Registered
2,074 Posts

Erwin, are you doing these plans yourself, or do you have a professional doing them for you? I'm just curious because they are very impressive and I would hope to be able to use something similar when the time comes for my basement.

That's a nice set of speakers the Italian built... very nice finish, and I love the CNC use in construction.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts