Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using REW and my laptop and the M-Audio Soundcard to take measurements of my room for a while now, I have the room sounding really good at the LP. Since that is where the mic is when I take measurements, what I have noticed is that anywhere other than the LP the bass is more dominant. Just standing up from the chair the bass becomes more noticable. Standing directly behind the LP there is more bass, or anywhere else in the room. This doesn't bother me to the point of I need to change it but, I was thinking that if I took more measurements with the mic higher up than where I have been taking measurements from I could possibly balance out this sound... I am thinking of taking measurements with the mic raised to the point between my ear height standing 63" vs 45" LP level. So moving the mic to 54" would be midway between the two any thoughts???

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
I have the room sounding really good at the LP.
Sounds like you are saying the LP sounds good until you hear more bass elsewhere, then you have doubts. If it sounds good at the LP, the goal is met, and a different sound elsewhere - which is inevitable in real rooms - should not matter.

The acoustical relationship between two points in the room is fixed at a given frequency until you change the room - move a speaker or sub, move the LP, change the acoustics, etc. By moving the mic to where there is more bass, your room correction device will compensate by giving you less bass, which will REDUCE the bass at the LP.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey AC,
Thanks for replying I only use two Eq's one for the mains and one for the subs, no other room correction device is used. So moving the mic will just give me a different curve of which i can make adjustments as I did with current curve I have. Does this make sense? I am thinking I might like a little more bass at the LP, which is easy by turning the subs up some but; doing that increases the bass through out the room and then the rest of the room has way too much bass....

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts
Hey jc,

In any room, especially those with symmetrical dimensions, bass levels are most prominent at the boundaries, with the dead center of the room being something of a “bass hole” where bass levels are the lowest. So basically, the only places you can expect consistent bass, relative to a given position, is that exact position on the opposite side of the room.

With that background, it sounds like your listening position is pretty close to the dead center of the room. If that’s the case, anywhere you move from there is going to get more pronounced bass. As Wayne mentioned, there’s nothing you can do about it, so just tune the system for the LP.

This is why I like my living room. With its open floor plan and cathedral ceiling, I don’t have this problem. :D

Regards,
Wayne

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Hey AC,
Thanks for replying I only use two Eq's one for the mains and one for the subs, no other room correction device is used. So moving the mic will just give me a different curve of which i can make adjustments as I did with current curve I have. Does this make sense? I am thinking I might like a little more bass at the LP, which is easy by turning the subs up some but; doing that increases the bass through out the room and then the rest of the room has way too much bass....
That is a common strategy - EQ the system and then turn up the subs to taste. Yes, it will make the bass even louder throughout the room, but the LP is what counts, so no harm, assuming you're not in a apartment or a structure where your "loud bass" becomes someone else's earthquake.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AC you and Wayne are both correct, I was just thinking that if I moved the mic up half way between where I took the original measurements from and my ear height when standing; that I could eq as I did originally and maybe get a more even bass response... I may try it just to see if my theory will work, or I can just turn up the subs as you say and enjoy!!!:T

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Have you ever thought about using bass traps in your room to even out the overoll response of the room? If done right it should allow for a wider sweet spot over more seats within the room.

My room is bad and the difference was night and day even my wife could tell the difference.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I tried placing the mic in a higher position the results were different than expected, so it will need more work. So for now I will just turn up the subs until I can locate them then back off a little.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting.... Thanks for the report.
AC I think something happened to my external soundcard, I took a few measurements no problems then the next few time it started to make a funny noise when I started the measuement!!! It wasn't in the system just the soundcard interfaze. It would start making a crackeling noise almost like dust in a pot!!!

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
The reason I asked is because when I setup the traps in my room they worked better in some locations then other's.

Think about it this way if your having a issue with a null that is caused by the rear wall and don't treat that wall then the issue will still be there.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am not having an issue with a null, you would have to go back and read alot of my earlier post to see where I am and what I am trying to achieve. The only issue I have per say is that the bass is louder in all other parts of the room except the LP, and that is because the room is tuned to the LP.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK I found a way to achieve what I was trying to do. The trick is really simple I just have to keep the gain down low until I am sitting in the LP. Then turn it up and then the bass is there in spades, problem before was I was hearing it before being in the LP and got accustomed to the bass out of the LP, so when I got in it the bass seemed to be lacking .

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Wayne,
No reciever this is a 2 channel only system amp and pre amp, I do have a remote for the volume. The subs are manually adjusted I have go to each one and do it on the back of the sub!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts