Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ti take it that you have seen small cube speakers? i just wanted to see if there were any existing plans for those out on the net...

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
ti take it that you have seen small cube speakers? i just wanted to see if there were any existing plans for those out on the net...
6" is not very large and you would get much better performance. Small Cube speakers are fine if the goal is not quality sound, but I can't recommend something not even remotely decent. I suppose you could try a 4" x 4" x 4" box with the above driver. Just be sure to stuff it full of polyfill.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Please consider baffle-step and include appropriate compensation. Your speakers will not sound that great if you simply drop a fullrange driver into a box and call it good. If you need help modelling or designing I would be happy to help.

There are also these knock-down cubes that might be useful for this project: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-7040

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Please consider baffle-step and include appropriate compensation. Your speakers will not sound that great if you simply drop a fullrange driver into a box and call it good. If you need help modelling or designing I would be happy to help.

There are also these knock-down cubes that might be useful for this project: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-7040
That's only necessary if the speakers aren't wall mounted or very close to a wall. With cubes near wall placement seems to be the norm. Besides an Auto EQ can probably compensate for BSC issues.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
I disagree. Unless a speaker is wall mounted or shoved up against the wall, it could benefit from BSC. Nearfield isn't going to help any likely holes in the lower mids or the missing bass. Good auto EQ would probably help though, you're right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you very much for the link...I really enjoyed reading it and seeing those speakers. I will definetly consider using his filter data as I design mine.
Appreciate the help,
JC

·
Registered
762 Posts
Just an off of the wall question and from mere curiousity. How come you wouldn't try to squeeze a two way setup into something small like that ? I would like to think it would smooth out response a bit.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks...i will consider it. I will be experimenting some... i plan on them for home theater use...wife want my large speakers out of the living room...lol so i will build something. Right now, im working on my system in a 2000 blazer. 4 - 6.5 pyles (yellow), 2 - 6x9 pyles, and now building the sub box for a 10 in. Blue Wave Hi-Power dvc...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After ur last post, I was thinking I might be able to do dual hard mount boxes...maybe at 30 deg. and run them in parallel...

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Still wouldn't recommend it. The tweeters in either cube so far apart would cause lobing and have an unpredictable off-axis response. It's a shot in the dark as far as I can guess. But if you really want to try, give it a shot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts