Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I would run a maelstrom in an infinite baffle (no box) and use an external EQ to fix the ridiculous cabin gain you will get.

Don`t bother with ports, they don`t work well in car subs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So how do I do infinite baffle in a truck. what do you mean don't use ports how man spl guys win competitions with sealed boxes? Im not doing spl I just want lower bass and I haven't seen anyone with this specific sub in a car application. I appreciate all the help so far. Great website

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Don't bother with ports, they don`t work well in car subs
There are millions who would disagree with that.

Infinite baffle would be building a wall in the back and using the whole back of the vehicle as a cabinet. with 1000 watts you'd have much less out put in the 20 to 50 hz range compared to ported.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
i dont plan to wall it off. i guess ill just keep my 12s and redesign the box to go lower. is there a free box design program on here anywhere? if anyone would like to help me out with a design the back of the truck is 49 wide and i can go 25 high and up to 42 deep. thanks. and the subs are jl audio 12 w3v3 8 ohm subs.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
isnt that an awful lot of space for 3 12s 5 cuft each? i need to mess with that box program a little more but is that pretty accurate in predicting out comes.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Here's the WinISD driver file, save it to the Drivers folder in the program. You can model the sub in different box sizes and tunings and find a combination you like.

View attachment JL Audio 12W3v3 8 ohm.wdr

The program does not account for cabin gain which is substantial.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think you'll see after playing around in that program how much a large enclosure tends to aid in low end extension. I have 1 15" in almost 11 cf to get low.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts