Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Anyone know why DIY Cable is no longer selling malestrom subs. And is there any other outlet that sells them?
Kevin (owner) ran into problems with the manufacturing facility and they're no longer being produced. Unfortunately.

Nobody else carries them - since they were DIYCable's product.

Last I heard he was not planning to restart production. Just the Exodus Anarchys are still being produced.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Anyone with that 21" driver now has quite a rare product.
I find it crazy to think that I'm one of them. I bought 1 when he had a brief sale - and was trying to clear inventory. I never thought for one second that would be the last Exodus driver that I'd buy!

I would have bought a couple more (smaller Exodus drivers) if I knew that they'd no longer be available.. A pair of 21"s would just be insane. :)

I also own a Tempest, a Mal 18" and 2 Anarchys. I've been very happy with them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
According to Kevin the manufacturer changed the design of the shorting ring without his knowledge/consent. When he asked them about it they said that hadn't changed anything, but clearly it had as his last batch of woofers failed after a short period of time. All issues were related to the shorting ring. Customers that bought the 18" or 21" recently almost certainly had failures with their drivers. This almost put Kevin out of business.

Kevin is now doing this part time and had to get a full time job as per the update on his website.

Needless to say if you've got a good one hang onto it! I have the gen II 18" and it's awesome.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Thanks jroc - appreciate you clarifying what happened to Kevin re: the build house...

Actually - note of clarification - I don't believe that the 21" were part of the problems (at least that I'm aware of - and the last emails I exchanged with him about it a few months ago).

Pretty sure most of the 21"s were manufactured before the problems cropped up.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have two 21" from February of last year, before all the problems and the "Vegas sale."

I've never used them. I have 24" sonotubes, just haven't had time to build them. I may never have the time, I'm not sure. If someone offered me a good enough price, I may be inclined to sell. Not sure.

These subs were warranted and still may be. Kevin would have to be contacted.

Just a thought...

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
FYI see here - Kevin is selling 18's and 21's with the problems on another forum.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1352797
Never knew the 21"s were impacted. Make sense since the motor is the same. He must have been selling some known good 21s that I bought. I know that the 21s have always been slow sellers.

Probably a good thing that I didn't see that sale, I would have taken the risk!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Jason_Nolan said:
I have two 21" from February of last year, before all the problems and the "Vegas sale."

I've never used them. I have 24" sonotubes, just haven't had time to build them. I may never have the time, I'm not sure. If someone offered me a good enough price, I may be inclined to sell. Not sure.

These subs were warranted and still may be. Kevin would have to be contacted.

Just a thought...
There are no replacement parts for the 21 that I know of and the typical failure is not economically fixed. Hope you got good ones......

·
Registered
205 Posts
No reason to jump to conclusions that it will fail. The vast majority of the drivers that were sold were perfectly fine.

I have a 21" that I bought in Feb? (few months ago) and I've had 0 issues.
You're lucky then! As previously said I don't think there are any replacement ones available in case of warranty.

Too bad about all this - these subs are excellent for the price or at any price really.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just because there isn't replacements, doesn't mean Kevin still won't replace, atleast by cost, if something is wrong with the ones he sold under warranty. I understand they don't make them anymore, therefore he cannot replace them.

·
Registered
565 Posts
My Mael 21" has had a burning smell for 5 months and finally failed. My massive 13 cu. ft. cabinet needs another 21" driver and I can't find one anywhere that has the parameters of the Maelstrom. I have 4 18" passives loaded to 2100 grams and was tuned to 15hz. I've looked at B & C and car drivers, but nothing comes close to the specs. I need a Qts of .4 or lower. I'm driving it with the Face Audio amp bridged to 2700 watts @ 4 ohms and any reference or recommendation for a good replacement driver would be appreciated.

My cabinet is 1.25" mdf, fully sealed without an accessable panel, and I don't want to drop down to an 18" driver. It would look gaudy and won't give me the VAS of the 21".

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Mike, there was a group buy for 21" subs from Mach 5 Audio, they are currently being built. I don't know the parameters but it's been said it should have Malestrom-like performance. You could try contacting Mark at Mach 5 and see if this is a possible option for you.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Mike, there was a group buy for 21" subs from Mach 5 Audio, they are currently being built. I don't know the parameters but it's been said it should have Malestrom-like performance. You could try contacting Mark at Mach 5 and see if this is a possible option for you.
Hey there Mike! I just sent an email to what looks like Mach 5's site. The only thing I could find was in Canada and it was called "listonline.com".???? Is there another link? Not much info about anything there.

Many thanks,

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.