Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
My Mael 21" has had a burning smell for 5 months and finally failed. My massive 13 cu. ft. cabinet needs another 21" driver and I can't find one anywhere that has the parameters of the Maelstrom. I have 4 18" passives loaded to 2100 grams and was tuned to 15hz. I've looked at B & C and car drivers, but nothing comes close to the specs. I need a Qts of .4 or lower. I'm driving it with the Face Audio amp bridged to 2700 watts @ 4 ohms and any reference or recommendation for a good replacement driver would be appreciated.

My cabinet is 1.25" mdf, fully sealed without an accessable panel, and I don't want to drop down to an 18" driver. It would look gaudy and won't give me the VAS of the 21".

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
Mike, there was a group buy for 21" subs from Mach 5 Audio, they are currently being built. I don't know the parameters but it's been said it should have Malestrom-like performance. You could try contacting Mark at Mach 5 and see if this is a possible option for you.
Hey there Mike! I just sent an email to what looks like Mach 5's site. The only thing I could find was in Canada and it was called "listonline.com".???? Is there another link? Not much info about anything there.

Many thanks,

·
Registered
565 Posts
Mike, there was a group buy for 21" subs from Mach 5 Audio, they are currently being built. I don't know the parameters but it's been said it should have Malestrom-like performance. You could try contacting Mark at Mach 5 and see if this is a possible option for you.
Ok Mike P., their new drivers are in and are on their "only once in a 3 year discount". Both the 21" Incrimintor Audio and the Warden drivers are dual 1 ohm and neither have T/S parameters available. I can't drive 2 ohms with my Face TS1200 amp.

I'll settle with your's or anybody's recommendations for the top of the line 18" subwoofer driver with T/S specs. I have a 13 cu.ft. 1.25 mdf thick cabinet with 4 mdf flat 18" passive radiators with a very low fs ea. and are loaded to 2100 grams each, not adjustable.

I don't want to put a penny into Thilo's pockets even though the TC Sounds looks like the best 18" available...woops, I just checked and PE has dropped his line.

The B & C and the RCF 21s both have low excursion and higher frequency responses than I would like to see in a subwoofer driver.

I would rather custom build a nice 21" to 18" conversion assembly for my subwoofer cabinet to house a very good 18" driver. This question is for everyone, not just Mike P.. Any thoughts would be appreciated very much. I've been away from audio these past few months and haven't kept up.

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
My divorce and move stress has taken it's toll on me...I looked at the 21" and not the 18s....I knew it was 18"....under a lot of stress right now and my music is my medicine....
Thanks again...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.