Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
According to Kevin the manufacturer changed the design of the shorting ring without his knowledge/consent. When he asked them about it they said that hadn't changed anything, but clearly it had as his last batch of woofers failed after a short period of time. All issues were related to the shorting ring. Customers that bought the 18" or 21" recently almost certainly had failures with their drivers. This almost put Kevin out of business.

Kevin is now doing this part time and had to get a full time job as per the update on his website.

Needless to say if you've got a good one hang onto it! I have the gen II 18" and it's awesome.
Very sorry to hear about Kevin's problems! I believe the difference with bigger companies would be that these have way more substantial mark-ups than Kevin. So when it hits the fan, they can sweat it out. Maybe they are also more cunningly regarding legal issues: the manufactorer should bleed for changing the design, not Kevin. I simpathise greatly, since I am a self-employed man myself. I had my share of bad things.

Anyway, I hope my Maelströms 18" are not affected? I got these since Feb/March 2010. The sub cabinets are ready, but I was still waiting for the amp (Behringer NU6000) to fire them up...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Mike, there was a group buy for 21" subs from Mach 5 Audio, they are currently being built. I don't know the parameters but it's been said it should have Malestrom-like performance. You could try contacting Mark at Mach 5 and see if this is a possible option for you.
Ok Mike P., their new drivers are in and are on their "only once in a 3 year discount". Both the 21" Incrimintor Audio and the Warden drivers are dual 1 ohm and neither have T/S parameters available. I can't drive 2 ohms with my Face TS1200 amp.

I'll settle with your's or anybody's recommendations for the top of the line 18" subwoofer driver with T/S specs. I have a 13 cu.ft. 1.25 mdf thick cabinet with 4 mdf flat 18" passive radiators with a very low fs ea. and are loaded to 2100 grams each, not adjustable.

I don't want to put a penny into Thilo's pockets even though the TC Sounds looks like the best 18" available...woops, I just checked and PE has dropped his line.

The B & C and the RCF 21s both have low excursion and higher frequency responses than I would like to see in a subwoofer driver.

I would rather custom build a nice 21" to 18" conversion assembly for my subwoofer cabinet to house a very good 18" driver. This question is for everyone, not just Mike P.. Any thoughts would be appreciated very much. I've been away from audio these past few months and haven't kept up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
My divorce and move stress has taken it's toll on me...I looked at the 21" and not the 18s....I knew it was 18"....under a lot of stress right now and my music is my medicine....
Thanks again...

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.