Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

This is my first post here but I've been reading a ton over the last 2 weeks. This place is a great source of information. Well my first post is a question...

Okay background information first...
Planar 7150
1000 Lum.

I have a 15 x 20 foot room that its going in, where the image is being projected onto the 15 foot wall generally in 16x9 fomat.

I've been playing around with my options and the "projection calculator" and Ive examined my lighting conditions and really only have one window to deal with which I will blackout which has led me to choose the Wilsonart DW as my first screen.. It seems for my image size likings (115-125") that I am going to have to pick up a 5x12' sheet of DW which would let me have about a 118" image after adding a border to the lam. After thats made ill be able to mount itsomewhere in the 13-14.5 foot range(throw) an still pull down 22ft-L (Assumed gain for 1.24 for DW according to some info I've found around here)(according to the projection calculator---but are they using the 1000 rated lumens? or I'm guessing the more realistic ~500 Lums??? it will actually be putting out in Eco-mode at 6500k color temp). Is what im saying making any sense? is this a good plan?

Also, I have been searching like crazy here but I cannot nail down how much I should expect to be paying for DW. I was quoted anywhere from 80$ to $180 bucks for a 5x12 sheet calling around to the local wilsonart dealers. How much is a good median price to be paying for DW per sq foot? I just want to pay a reasonable amount but I have no idea what that might be??

Thanks again for helping out a Rook!
Nick

·
Registered
746 Posts
Good plan...I too have a 7150 and it is ~400lumens in best mode as you will use it.
I am using a grey screen but your DW will work well also.
5' x 12' DW should cost from $80-$120.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright after doing some searching around here average price for a 5x10 sheet of DW is about 130 bucks. 130 + Backing+border is more than I wanted to spend on a DIY screen right now.

I want to go BW now and paint it on to a cheap substrate thats 5x10 ft that I can put a border on and then mount to the wall. Painting onto the wall is a no go, its a rental. Anybody point me towards any good options for a cheap good paintable substrate that I can get up to 5x10???

Thank you all!

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
5X10 you'll be looking at MDF. And it would be a special order as most places don't stock it. Another option is to chaeck around locally for a sign shop and see if you can get something paintable from them. Sintra is one of these type of sign board products.

Why can't you paint the wall of your rental? You can always paint it when you leave. :dontknow:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be open to this actually, but its a heavily textured wall.

So I would have to strip it down to something smooth... and then when I leave try to match the paint and retexture it.

I really like the idea of being able to take the screen with me when I go.

Can I get cheap laminate and paint that? Has anyone gone that route?

Thanks for your input mechman!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lots of people have painted on their laminates with success. I'm not sure how it would work if you rolled it back up when you move, the paint may crack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts