Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I know the topic of expensive cables has been discussed before and from what I've read some have said there is a difference in sound and others have disagreed. I have never used expensive cables to be able to hear them for myself however I ran across Morrow Audio and they claim you will hear a difference.
I am not disagreeing with them and I am not trying to bash the company I just wanted know if anyone has heard or tried this cables.

http://www.morrowaudio.com/usedcables.htm

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I've gone back and forth with respect to cable quality making a difference in sound quality. I've landed at this...

Cable price is not a good indicator of quality. A good cable at any price will make virtually no difference in performance and zero difference if said cable is carrying a digital signal. If a cable is poorly manufactured or damaged you can/will experience a difference in performance. Even when a cable can improve the sound better speakers will make a bigger difference. But, high end cables really look cool!

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
IMO it's not even worth the effort of clicking the link to see what they have to say about electrical performance.

Now if you want to buy a cable because it's pretty and you want it that's another story.
It's possible for a cable/wire to be defective and cause sound/video problems.
The most likely symptom being no sound or video or intermittent sound/video.
If a cable or appropriately sized wire is not defective replacing it with a "super" cable/wire won't make a difference in what you see/hear.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I have some morrow audio cables. My uncle recommended them to me as they make a great sound difference compared to even some expensive cables.

My uncle... hmm.. well I would trust his opinion. Not only does he have 30+ years of 2 channel hifi listening but he has his system dialed in to the point where chicago symphony president uses his system as a reference. My uncle has used 30k+ in cabling and when he heard the $40 pair of interconnects from morrow he was floored and has since moved to all their MA3's and some of their reference stuff.

Morrow makes a decent sounding cable.

Cabling makes a difference believe it or not. Don't let someone tell you otherwise. Morrow audio MA1's use a small single core gauge wire that is silver coated and it's beryllium copper. It's small... about a 18 to maybe 20 gauge around there. The plus and negative are twisted and then the only other material is the polyethylene braid outer jacket. It's a thinner material and PE has a dieletric constant of around 2.4.

Your standard PVC jacketing is 5-7. what this means is it adds capacitance to the circuit by forcing the magnetic field back into the copper thus creating resistance.

So... there IS a difference in cables. Period. As an electrician in the petrochemical industry we use special cables for signaling issues and are well aware of these noise issues.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Morrow makes a decent sounding cable.
That alone makes me laugh, For interconnects there may be some volatility to those claims but a speaker wire is not going to be susceptible to interference in the range that would be audible. As long as you use the appropriate awg wire for the length of run you would be fine.

As an electrician in the petrochemical industry we use special cables for signaling issues and are well aware of these noise issues.
understandable in your industry as in mine. Electric motors, ballasts, even large amounts of computers will introduce noise in the power grid however these issues are not prevalent in most homes as the transformers will filter out most if not all of this noise. EMI interference in your home will not introduce that level of noise through your interconnects speaker cables.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
If I can also add to Tony's reply.

Capacitance lowers the impedance seen by a source, however at audio frequencies this will be negligible and the claim below is totally incorrect.
Your standard PVC jacketing is 5-7. what this means is it adds capacitance to the circuit by forcing the magnetic field back into the copper thus creating resistance
As for the fact that they use
a small single core gauge wire that is silver coated and it's beryllium copper.
then this would be of no benefit since the skin effect only occurs as you approach radio frequencies.

Finally what is the measured resistance, capacitance and linear inductance of the cables they use?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Everything makes a difference! The important question is if the difference is significant, and that only you can answer. My personal belief is that the loudspeakers and room acoustics play a far greater role in determining sound quality than the electronics and cabling. The one exception would be electronic room correction - that can have a substantial impact on the sound. Perhaps you could try some of the cables under consideration and report back?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
And dont forget the power of persuasion, if you want to believe it makes a difference it will.

In my line of work as a building operator many temperature related complaints are simply solved by making an appearance and telling them you will look into it. Returning a day later and they will usually say its much better even though you did nothing or simply took the cover off on the thermostat and put it back on.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
And dont forget the power of persuasion, if you want to believe it makes a difference it will.

In my line of work as a building operator many temperature related complaints are simply solved by making an appearance and telling them you will look into it. Returning a day later and they will usually say its much better even though you did nothing or simply took the cover off on the thermostat and put it back on.
Don't you mean... "calibrated" the cover?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Morrow's claims are rather odd and I find no evidence to support the effects that they refer to. In some ways they contradict themselves and are at odds with most of the electronics industry with the premises of their design.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Ok I clicked the link and it's even worse than I thought possible.
This is a cut and paste from the opening of their theory link....

1. Cables That Use Stranded Wire:
In stranded wire designs, the strands touch each other hundreds of times at various points along the length of the wire, causing the signal to jump from strand to strand instead of flowing through a continuum. . The result is a diode effect (like little mV Diodes) at each point where the strands come into contact, causing distortion of the signal; blurring imaging, soundstage cues, etc

Absolutely incredible that anyone could publish this as factual electrical theory.
It would be hilarious, but unfortunately the fiction reads much better than real theory does and apparently there is an audience that believes it hook line and sinker.

It's not worth the effort to refute it, if you want these cables buy them they won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really appreciate everyone's time in replying. Everyone has good valid points. I use plain cables and my system sounds fine to my ears. At the same time from what most have mentioned it seems like cheaper cables will work just fine. I mean no harm for Morrow Audio. I happened to mention Morrow because I came across them on Facebook and what I read seemed interesting.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
No need to apologise for manufacturers claims, they all do it!
The audio industry is an open slather for preposterous statements that are usually wrapped in techno-babble to sell their products. They rely on the fact that the guy on the street doesn't have an engineering background and the placebo effect can be quite significant. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have Morrow's in my setup speaker and Xlr's and an MAP 2 powercable. If you want to have your question answered try the 39.00 cable and hear for yourself!

I did :T

1 - 20 of 141 Posts