Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
A few years ago I bought a 42 inch Sony LCD. I also bought a $99.00 1 meter Monster HDMI cable because I was told by the salesman "you need this". Later on I bought a $10.00 2 meter HDMI cable from e-Bay. I swapped cables one day and there was no difference in picture quality. As far as I'm concerned, from my experience with lengths of 2 meters or less, the Monster cable was a waste of money.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I have had very good luck with the el cheapo HDMI cables. Even Wal-Mart is ripping off people with their HDMI cable prices.

·
Registered
26 Posts
sheilding, wire gauge and such can make more apparent difference in an analog video connection. Digital is digital till it's gone. you either have the picture or you don't. Analog can get fuzzy, ghosting etc as length gets longer or cable quality is worse, but can still carry some resemblance of the picture. IMHO If it doesn't pixelate or lose the picture it's a good HDMI cable no matter the cost

·
Registered
351 Posts
When wiring up my HT, I bought all my cables from monoprice. The prices seemed almost too good to be true. The three cables of most concern was the 25' HDMI to the PJ, the 25' component to PJ and the 20' RCA to the sub.

I've had absolutely no issues with any. No hum with the sub and the component in looks as good as when I used 6' for testing. They're installing my Dish HD Saturday. My receiver has only one HDMI in, so I ordered more interconnects and a 4x2 switcher from monoprice based on my good experiences with them.

Doug

N

·
0 Posts
I have to agree with Doug. I have never had a problem with monoprice and have been using them for years. I don't think I would ever go for monster cables because I think money can be better spent elsewhere

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I have both a monster HDMI cable (came with my Samsung) and a $25 HDMI cable and there is NO difference between the two at all on my BluRay player.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is there a consensus from most enthusiasts that monoprice is the place to buy HDMI cables?
Both short (1 - 3 meters) and long (10 - 25 meters)?

Are there any other sites that are comparable to monoprice?

·
Registered
746 Posts
BlueJeansCable

I just ran a 40' of their tartan and have 0% issues. I was worried as previously my longest run was 20' and have read that at distances of ~40' and longer you can start to run into issues, don't know the science.
My Monoprice and BJC tartans of 3', 10' and 20' all work perfectly.

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
I ran a 35' cable from Parts Express on one of my installs that has zero problems. The cable chain is basically DVD Player to Receiver (with the one in the box), Receiver to projector (the 35' monster).

No problems, excellent video quality, relatively inexpensive. Supposedly 35' is where the problems are supposed to start coming in and where quality *might* matter. I haven't seen it though.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I ran a 35' cable from Parts Express on one of my installs that has zero problems. The cable chain is basically DVD Player to Receiver (with the one in the box), Receiver to projector (the 35' monster).

No problems, excellent video quality, relatively inexpensive. Supposedly 35' is where the problems are supposed to start coming in and where quality *might* matter. I haven't seen it though.
HD is more information, no? So I would think with 480 resolution and the SD color gamut that long lengths are much easier to get away with with no issues at all, I'd bet up to 100'.

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Yeah, except this player upconverted to 720p, so I assume the full bandwidth was going over the link.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've spent several hundred dollars in monoprice stuff wiring my theater - XLR's, interconnects, HDMI cables, TOSLINK, speaker wire (12, 14, & 16 ga), wall plates, you name it..

Been very impressed with the quality for the money.

I would have easily spent well over a thousand for what cost me ~300-400 with monoprice..

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
[My question is: Can you see the difference?]

I can't see paying the high price for "those special HDMI" cables . . . . or for high priced esoteric wires of any kind for any connections.
I was just thinking, my satellite antenna delivers the HD signal through plain old Belden shielded cable and several interconnects and it has runs of about 75 feet! Looks great.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts