Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just to explain what i want to do:
I use Cubase which comes with revence as an convultion inpulse reverb, where you can load your own impules (just like SIR, but then better and realtime)

I just need a stereo impulse of my room (which should be easy to create with REW right?)

So i made some measurements from my L & R channel
did choose generic EQ
applied filters from 0 - 5000hz.
all looked good and made sense so far
chosen export to filtered impulse
choose stereo 16bits
L measurement on top selection box
R measurement on bottom slection box
ticked Normalize

and the output is a mono file extremely short and soft. with a big 100db squared out wave at the beginning (probably why this wasn't normalized to decent levels) the big square wav is not vissible in my measurements

What am i doing wrong here?

P.S. i am yet in stage 1 here, which is: complete the workflow and get a working impulse.
stage 2 will be, does it make sense and how to tune my measurements and corrections further.

·
Super Moderator
9,310 Posts

Welcome to the Forum, Ralphie!

Sorry, but I can’t tell from your post what you’re trying to accomplish.

So i made some measurements from my L & R channel
did choose generic EQ
applied filters from 0 - 5000hz.
all looked good and made sense so far
chosen export to filtered impulse
choose stereo 16bits
L measurement on top selection box
R measurement on bottom slection box
ticked Normalize
Is this all in Cubase? I’m sorry, but you’re not going to find many people here who are familiar with it.

I just need a stereo impulse of my room (which should be easy to create with REW right?)
If you’re talking true stereo, REW can’t do that. It only generates monophonic signals. If you’re satisfied to have that in two channels, you could just use a splitter.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, bear with me, maybe i am not explaining myself good enough. My room is already treated

- i measure each channel induvidually in REW (left channel enclosed: note i calibrated lower than 75db just for testing, 75db tests will follow)
- I can apply filters with "generic EQ"
- i can go to FILE > EXPORT > FILTERS IMPULSE RESPONSE AS WAV
- There i can choose MONO or STEREO
- I choose STEREO and put my left measurement in the upper current filters box and my right measurement in the lower currrent filters box (assuming that i reflect my stereo setup here)
I choose 32 bit and OK
- a MONO file comes out (what is the function of STEREO?)

After that it's just loading this into Cubase, which is fine and i am comfortable with.

The purpose being: measure both speakers, create a stereo convultion, which once loaded in a host would work as room correction right?
basically i've got a a big spike at 101hz and a huge dip at 2.1khz.
maybe i should just EQ rather than convultion?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
The export options allow you to either export the measurements you have taken (Impulse Response as WAV) or the filters you have defined for a measurement (Filters Impulse Response as WAV). If you wanted to convolve your output with something to counter the effects of your room you would need the inverse of your room measurement. That is a complicated topic, largely because entire room responses are not invertible - see the DRC Wiki and the linked information for more about that. If you just want to apply some filtering you could use REW to work out some filters and apply them via normal EQ, or export the impulse response of the filters and use them in a convolver, same result either way. You should first exhaust your options for placement (of speakers and listener) and acoustic treatment for best results though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts