Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
it's beta version 12

i ran a measurement and it was fine,
a moment later i moved the microphone and ran another one and rew said the input was too low.
i ran another loopback and couldn't get a signal in (using asio4all) .. i switched to creative asio and it still didn't work.
i had to go into windows 7 audio menu and switch the default recording input, and when i did that the input was back.
well with the input back, the measurements looked different (smoother and flatter) .. and when i thought the measurement was solid, i export an impulse response and the contents are empty again.

further information..
windows 7 64bit home premium
running the output of rew out to asio4all, through virtual audio cable, through vsthost, out to the soundcard.
(i'm using vsthost for seperate left & right equalizer, as well as convolution from kefir (version 3).

as far as my chipset being suffocated by purposefully programmed personas, i think the speed and responsiveness of rew is acceptable.
i don't think rew has much getting in the way with all of the 'personality' causing collisions & congestion on my chipset.. and i'm only saying something because probably other people are experiencing the same thing.
i can hear my motherboard giggling and spitting up like a newborn, all the way to dancing lights as if slowing me down next to obliterated functionality is enthusiating or emotionally supportive.

and to put things into perspective, the computer case looks like a seed of a brain, yet too dumb and unproductive to accelerate progress & instead sings out like a printer programmed to play music.. yet the music is highly opposed to my productivity.

it's like the pepsi generation had enough time to touch things & grow an unwelcome, only because nobody has had the opportunity to tell them no.
and if complaints are your regular thing, apparently growing complaint gives the system a platter to aim for as it lays one line of assault down after another as if the mouth has excessive spit uncontrolled.

all that goes together with a perfect math itch, and then somebody that said the math wasn't enough as if we need an obnoxious carefree child trapped inside a computer case spinning excess disk noise and poor CPU management, typically examplified from worries & fear & begging for attention in an abusive way.

i mean nobody can see empty roads and a method to use them, only to see a different way to use those same roads.
as if i need to see something broken to appreciate that it worked earlier.
as if bumping into effort nowadays constantly requries filtering through the gay.
as if gay progress is not going to stumble and trip up real math equations worked out.

i figure the last 2 minutes of reading is humor for somebody else, yet something worth speaking about, especially when speed and latency is quite a concern with audio since most of it is timing related.
i think it's something that resembles tacky glue, and i think the opportunity was there taken.. yet what filled the slot of time is more nuisance than working together.

and i wonder, is it because i chose the chipset drivers that didn't maximize my hard drive speed?
is the monitoring system thinking 'if it was okay to slow down the hard drives once, obviously it is okay to make a mess of maximum speed' ?
because to me that is like a keyboard with the tacky glue spilled on the keys.
i use an ergonomic keyboard, and that doesn't mean there is room between my hands and the keys for something sticky.

you know those master filled rooms that can pressurize a visual object on a wall don't enjoy an object placed inside the room throwing off the soundwaves without dialing in a way to avoid the object in the room.

if my dual core 3.26ghz cpu can connect to a chipset that can handle a quad core processor, you would think there is extra room in the chipset because of 2 missing processors, to allow I/O to be fast.

and what is treating an operating system like tooth enamel, needing to replace the tooth with a fresh install to prevent pain from cavities .. when a mirror over the cpu platter can mirror every single thing that goes through the circuit trace.
and just because we see circuit traces on the outside of the circuit board, that doesn't say a single thing for all the other surface area wasted ~ where the other mirrored computer could go.

my talk for the day as if i'm on a television show has come to here.
i need those other impulse response files.
see what i do is grab one from the listening position.. then use other places of the room to grab more impulse response files.
for example, the corner's of the room have lots of built up distortion because of the room.
if you spit out another impulse response file after the first one with the correct time delay, that second impulse response file will bounce in the signal and bounce out into the room.
listening to two impulse response files, but you know we can't really hear a huge difference directly from the speaker with just one impulse response file.
all the crosstalk inbetween the two speakers is cleaned up.
and because the time delay is right with the second impulse response file, it can strike the room on time.. or the two impulse response files add up to one new impulse response and it pours out into the room as the soundwaves splash.
otherwise it's like a double tap, but time is fast ~ really fast .. and as long as your amp & speakers can thread all of those signals, they will pour out of the cone and the room sounds more worth listening to than directly standing in front of the speaker.

and what is with the CPU platter programming?
why can't we run one rail of analog audio in the cpu, and then cut up the signal again and lay another line of audio in the CPU, and then maybe two more on the other side of the CPU platter.. that way cut up 4 times makes it 4 times more faster.
and thanks to magnets in the circuit, the electrons can move faster than they would float idle in water.
like wow.. 90% of the CPU for the audio, and the other 10% saved for whatever is necessary because watching a movie on the computer will run on the graphics card for it's own processing power.
again back to the motherboard being able to run two graphics cards and a quad core processor.
plus some oldschool PCI slots for more funny on the side, as if they are penant flags hanging in the rooms of people that enjoy wood.. yet wasting the time slot of funny the flag represents on a daily basis, just stuck making their story grow with ill character.

and with all that said, 'being hostile' is a team effort grown possibility that abducts people.. throws them in the hospital, and tosses 'em out with a $20,000 bill where the food costs less than $5 for the entire week you are there .. the other materials they give you is again less than $5 .. and enough anger to charge a large inflated price because somebody dug a channel of water that goes downhill and put a gear in the water to spin an electric motor (or placed solar cells on the roof with large toroidal coils to grab it from the sun).

yep.. $20,000 is quite clear somebody hates your guts no different than watching a factory robot run at sonic speed grabbing taffy from the inside of the earth where it continues to grow no matter how much you grab off the top, throwing the pieces of taffy together as you watch less than $100 get slapped together .. and then you follow the car along it's path watching the price inflate because of shipping and handling charges.
it's like they are suing you for not talking about using teleport tubes from the surface to the factory.
as if tokyo or asia isn't shoulder to shoulder in the media, able to be used for heat, with all those fancy robot car garages.. as if they wouldn't be trendy.

isn't a debug file just a recording of what was going on.. should be able to grab that file and send it to you, or we talk about completion and truncated vertices.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Can't really comment on the suffocated chipset, but exported impulse responses have a 1 second pre-peak period and it is advisable to tick the normalise box when you export. An easy way to check the IR exported OK is to re-import it to REW and check it shows the same response.

When you say you moved the microphone, did you unplug the soundcard or mic (if it is a USB mic) when you did that? Unplugging an audio device you are using for REW is not recommended, audio drivers can get crotchety if the devices they are interfacing to disappear.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there's 20ft of cord there & my soundcard is placed into a PCI slot with a screw to hold it in, of course i didn't unplug anything moving the mic.

the communication between me and the computer has been inflated with a pocket of isolation, forcing me to compare what is function and what is any side dish.

i haven't seen the need to use the normalize function ever a single time before today, and i've already done about 20 impulse response files.

any other time i go into the wav editor the audio information is there when i zoom in.
but whatever suction cup fell off, i went in and zoomed in until i seen there wasn't anything at all there.
i turned the microphone up on the preamp and ran it again,.. & all i got on the line was a few bumps up and down that wouldnt leave the 0.0dB line-marker.

i see that line as working up from -100dB .. no reason to stretch the truth up onwards to the maximum of -1dB because of all the texture becoming distorted in translation, as if nobody has ever seen silly putty transfer ink off a newspaper before to see the picture stretch and wiggle with jitter.

..see i was using beta version 9 and updated to 12 yesterday.
otherwise it has been the exact same virtual audio cable and vsthost, as well as the plugins inside the host being the same.

everything else has been working for months, until the one day i updated rew to version 12.
spelling mistakes or slipped numpad keys?
the i-q of effort is whatever circle allowed to exist, and the octaves can't begin to grow until the first one lays a thump.

or we can quickly view how being put on the spot is quite no different than trying to get up from a melted position :hsd:

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
So trying to pick my way through the somewhat unusual posting style:

- You updated to beta 12
- You made a measurement and it was normal, all OK
- You moved the mic, without unplugging anything, and on the next measurement REW warned of low input level
- You tried a loopback, still no input
- After some fiddling around you got something, but it didn't look right and your IR exports look wrong

That sounds more like something may have gone wrong on the soundcard or mic cable side of things than in REW, since you say you did get a normal measurement with beta 12 at first, but if you would like to try re-installing beta 9 you can download the installer from here.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
So trying to pick my way through the somewhat unusual posting style:

- You updated to beta 12
- You made a measurement and it was normal, all OK
- You moved the mic, without unplugging anything, and on the next measurement REW warned of low input level
- You tried a loopback, still no input
- After some fiddling around you got something, but it didn't look right and your IR exports look wrong

That sounds more like something may have gone wrong on the soundcard or mic cable side of things than in REW, since you say you did get a normal measurement with beta 12 at first, but if you would like to try re-installing beta 9 you can download the installer from here.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've still got beta 9 on the hard drive, but yes that is basically what happened.
the measurement i made in the rear of the room suddenly popped up with a low input value warning.

the measurement looks like this:

for whatever reason, going into the windows settings panel for audio devices is what freed up the functionality after switching from asio4all to creative asio driver.
it's like the asio4all combined with rew suddenly stopped functioning correctly.. and switching immediately to the other asio driver didn't communicate with the soundcard driver.
and then leaving creative asio drivers selected, enabling the soundcard as the default input device made the soundcard relay click and turned the input back on.

before, it was virtual audio cable as the default input.. and it was working.
maybe something should be said about which input windows has selected, compared to which input asio4all has selected.. because asio4all was set to use the soundcard as input, and the virtual audio cable as output (obviously because rew sends audio to asio4all .. and asio4all sends the audio to virtual audio cable.. and virtual audio cable sends the audio data to vsthost)
but in the windows panel, i had virtual audio cable selected.
it seems having more than one control panel to access which one from a list, as well as input or output, is tediously confusing to the operating system whenever it comes time for an opportunity when the two consoles ever check in on eachother.
because it would make perfect sense that i had it set up one way, and then the kernel is doing it's usual sweeps and sees that i have it set a different way in the windows settings and then breaks the connection (or puts it back the other way)
i don't think they should be allowed to fight eachother .. why on earth they aren't fully connected is proving, to say again, to be a problem.. if not only for the end user, perhaps the programmers too.

i suppose it is my fault for not having the appropriate device selected as default in the windows options.
i really need to play with it again to see if i can get some data from the exported impulse response.

to go on and say nothing at all about any code changed, or could ever change assembly, in version 12 compared to version 9 ... well it makes me think version 9 wasn't caring for what the windows settings said for input and output, especially when asio doesnt register through the windows settings if indeed asio is a direct mode option.

i've always thought the extra audio settings in the windows options was a pest.
i figured the only usefulness was to set the bit depth and sample rate to help trim the chipset in an organized fashion for a prepared boost in I/O, if only because what wasn't used was registered(or ignored).

asio4all has always been subsceptible to software disconnects.. but it really hadn't been happening for such a long time i thought everything was kosher.
thus when i experienced the low input warning, i knew right away the chain of events executing was somehow different|problematic.

at the very least, i figure it's punishment for upgrading to beta version 12 when i didn't come across any problems with beta version 9.
i just wanted the extra waterfall slices as a reason to upgrade the version number.

here is the other measurement i took after resetting the input:

**edit**

the first measurement doesn't look like my equalizer settings, so i can't justify there was a software loopback taking place from the vsthost (because i had an equalizer inside the vsthost).

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
The first measurement you show is typical of an unconnected input, though it may be from the unused channel of a stereo pair (the upward trend with frequency can be due to crosstalk from the channel that is active). The other measurement looks valid, though there are some very hefty LF resonances and the sub range overall is quite high. If you run REW's SPL Calibration the plot will be drawn at the correct level.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i did a fresh install of the operating system, installed beta version 12 of rew, and ran some measurements.
the impulse response files didn't show up empty a second time.

i didn't want to leave my post empty & awaiting.

(i didn't run into any problems with input being low either)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.