Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prt/ported5.htm

" The volume of the box is larger (sometimes significantly larger) than that of a maximally flat ported system using the same driver.

I assume this is the default/automatic plot given in WinISD when one selects a driver, selects vented, and leaves it as the default? "C4/SC4 (Sub-)Chebyshev"

" As with the standard ported systems, almost any driver can be used. However, the best results will be obtained with drivers of Qts <0.35.

What is the result when a higher Qts driver is used? I'm going to guess a large peak... but thats an uneducated guess. My driver Qts is .648 and I'm guessing that's why it is an IB sub and not for a vented enclosure?

" To design an EBS system, use any box frequency response modelling software (like my spreadsheet) and model the response of a system using your driver, where the box size is 160% to 180% the volume suggested for a maximally flat response. Then, set the tuning frequency to near Fs for the driver "

My Fi IB3 18" doesn't automatically plot.... it doesn't select a tuning or port length. It does, however, suggest 66.7 cubic feet. Again, the reason it's not well suited for Vented? So to be an EBS, I'd want about 120 cubic feet tuned to 22Hz... heheheh

BTW, I am seeing an EBP of 27.7 and I'm also guessing this has a large part in it as well, but I am just learning on EBP and what it means.

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I believe the larger an enclosure, the less the port is effectively used... I think a small enclosure forces the air through the port, whereas a very very large enclosure.. closer to an infinite baffle... wouldn't really see the port, or force air through it... but anyway... the default vented vs EBS

Attachments

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
kryptonitewhite said:
I believe the larger an enclosure, the less the port is effectively used... I think a small enclosure forces the air through the port, whereas a very very large enclosure.. closer to an infinite baffle... wouldn't really see the port, or force air through it... but anyway... the default vented vs EBS
That's not correct. Enclosure size doesn't determine the effectiveness of a port.

The Fi 18 IB driver can definitely be used in a ported enclosure - just don't try to force fit it to the vague, generic definition of an EBS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts