Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...I never got very far with REW on our Vista Laptop....now there are some changes. I have moved our DELL Dimension 4300S Desktop into out HT Room and have it connected to our 50" Pio KURO.

Will be downloading REW on the desktop.

Looking for sound card suggestions that will not break the bank but will get the job done right with REW??? Our DELL is 9 years old so the soundcard in there isn't cutting it.:help:

I should also add that I have just added a Seaton Submersive Sub to our HT. :yikes:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, what is it running, Windows 95? :D Most of the soundcards we could recommend are compatible with XP.

Regards,
Wayne
Got XP on it. She's been good to us and we don't have that much stuff on it. Maxed out the RAM obviously. Would love to get some suggestions of Ext. Sound Cards that would get the job done.

Dave

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow...very affordbale sound card. I think I'm going to try this one with my Rad Shack meter to get myself moving with REW.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Wow...very affordbale sound card. I think I'm going to try this one with my Rad Shack meter to get myself moving with REW.
Great DAC4, I am interested too. Could you please post the progress and the steps involved.
I am new to this and would like to get the graphs and waterfall. So far this is where I am. Thanks

1. I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 with Win 7 Ultimate.
2. Ordered the Antimode
3. Downloaded REW today
4. Have the Radio Shack meter - Digital.
5. Looked at the UCA 202 good price

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Will this work

I would like to use REW and create graphs and waterfall. I am however new to this and was wondering if the connections I have in the image, which I modified from the EQ Wizard site, will work for me. I will be using the following:

Dell Inspiron 1720 with Win 7 Ultimate.
Antimode 8033
REW
Radio Shack meter - Digital.
One of the 2 sound cards- Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit External - Sound card - 24-bit - 96 kHz - 5.1 - USB or the Behringer UCA202 U-Control Audio Interface
any recommendation- which would work and be better.

If any thing is missing or I am on the wrong path please advice.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
That's pretty much right, except... skip the connection from the soundcard's left out to left in. Instead, first connect the right out to the right in, run the soundcard calibration, then connect per the diagram for scans without the left out to left in connection.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
That's pretty much right, except... skip the connection from the soundcard's left out to left in. Instead, first connect the right out to the right in, run the soundcard calibration, then connect per the diagram for scans without the left out to left in connection.
Thanks here is the new diagram, I removed the soundcard's left out to left in and connected the right out to the right in.

After that I am lost as how do I run the sound card calibration?

Are there any connection to the RS Meter at this stage?

Also out of the 2 sound cards which one would you recommend.

Thanks again, as I said earlier I am new to this so bear with me.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
No problem being new. We were all there once, and that's what we're here for.
You should try reading the help files, they're pretty good :D
Once to make the connections, click Settings, go to the soundcard tab, about halfway down is the soundcard calibration file settings, click the 'measure' button... instructions will guide you through it, unless there's a problem...
I have nothing against either soundcard, I personally use the bottom one.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Thanks glaufman. Made some progress after reading the excellent write up by mj79 on calibrating the sound card. I was able to calibrate the sound card with the following result:

The next step I need help I connected the Antimode, sub, RS Meter and the sound card to the computer as follows:

My question is:

1. How can I generate the graph for the sub woofer.

2. What sounds should be played

3. At this stage the sub is only connected to the sound card and not to the receiver

4. How can I know the EQ before and after?

5. Am I on the right path:help:

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I do not know if I did it right or not. I ran the calibration with the Antimode and here are some graphs. It looks like an EKG of my subs as this is for the subs connected. To me the fun part is at least I got a graph, learning. I don't know what they mean though. Would appreciate if some one can explain what it all means.

The first graph is Red when the calibration was running I took one reading.

The second is when I put the Antimode in bypass mode and took another reading Green

The third one is the composite

The last is a waterfall ( Having fun with the graphics)

Thanks if I can understand if I am on the right path:huh:

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
I do not know if I did it right or not.
Not right yet, I'm afraid. Those are basically plots showing a bit of mains hum pickup at 60/120/180Hz, they are typical of what you might see from an unconnected soundcard input. Bit more work to do on getting the soundcard setup right. Work on getting a good soundcard calibration response first, that flushes out most of the issues.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HTSAS11,

The pics in this thread are very helpful. Thanks for posting them. I just got my soundcard (same one as you).

So is it right to say that with this soundcard I will only need 2 RCA interconnects ? One from soundcard to recevier. One from Soundcard to Rad Shack meter?

Dave

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Assuming you already have a third for receiver to sub...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts