Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a pair of these for/with my buddy this weekend. Pretty easy build, got two done in two days from start to finish.

This is lilmike's design, it's been posted on the avs forum, not sure if elsewhere.

New owner in there for size, note: not me :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

We fired one up real quick in the garage. The output was fairly impressive. It will be interesting seeing these setup in his basement :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
hmmm i am curious how does the tempest-x compare to the MFW-15 in the f-20? Any real gains using the tempest-x? I know i saw it on avs somewhere but cant seem to find anything on it really.

Or is the MFW-15 the best choice? New house could always use a good "cinema" sub and the current tempest could stay as the end table sub :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
hmmm i am curious how does the tempest-x compare to the MFW-15 in the f-20? Any real gains using the tempest-x? I know i saw it on avs somewhere but cant seem to find anything on it really.

Or is the MFW-15 the best choice? New house could always use a good "cinema" sub and the current tempest could stay as the end table sub :)
Tempest X or Tempest X2? There is a difference. The X works, the X2 is a monster.

Both have been discussed over in the AVS thread. Lots of drivers work in this sub. For the cost, the MFW is very capable. The Dayton DVC also works, as does the Reference HF. The JL Audio 15W0 is a decent fit.

·
Registered
77 Posts
tempest-x2. Ill have to browse through better in the avs thread later tonight. Only went through the last 5 pages or so and didnt really see anything. Of course i was just searching for tempest as well.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Very nice work as always nyt.

You have to be tempted to fire it in your system before it's off to it's permanent home, cmon you did didn't ya:whistling:

·
Registered
95 Posts
tempest-x2. Ill have to browse through better in the avs thread later tonight. Only went through the last 5 pages or so and didnt really see anything. Of course i was just searching for tempest as well.
Here you go.

In a nutshell, with double the Xmax and 3X the power handling, the Tempest X2 will put about 6 dB on the MFW in this cabinet at 21 Hz.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice work as always nyt.

You have to be tempted to fire it in your system before it's off to it's permanent home, cmon you did didn't ya:whistling:
I ran some test tones in my garage, but didn't feel like moving it inside. I've done the horn thing already and I'm quite a few evolutions past that level of output ;)

They sounded good. I'll be checking them out when they're all setup in their new home.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Lilmike I have had my F20 running for a few months now and I have had a few friends ask me the same question. What would be a commercial sub that is the equivalent of the F20? Before the F20 I had never owned a subwoofer so I really built mine on faith and trusted it would be worth the effort because . So when i'm asked what the F20 is equal to I just shrug.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Lilmike I have had my F20 running for a few months now and I have had a few friends ask me the same question. What would be a commercial sub that is the equivalent of the F20? Before the F20 I had never owned a subwoofer so I really built mine on faith and trusted it would be worth the effort because . So when i'm asked what the F20 is equal to I just shrug.
Wow, only missed this by a few months...oopsies.

Guess I don't forum as much as I used to.

The F-20 is a DIY sub designed by an amateur. I know - I did it..... Was not intended to compete with anything commercial, but rather offer like-minded DIYers the most bass I could get out of a bit more than two sheets of plywood and an inexpensive 15" driver, in a simple-to-build cabinet. It was all about bang for the buck.

As far as commercial comparisons? I'm flattered..... There are a couple that come to mind, but in my opinion, my F-20 is nowhere near the caliber of either. JTR's Orbit Shifter uses an 18, is a little smaller, and is tuned a touch higher, Danley's TH50s are a touch larger, also tuned a touch higher, and are tapped horns. Both commercial options get quite a bit louder, no doubt due to the differences in capabilities of the drivers when compared to the MFW-15 OEM driver. I've heard TH50s, WOW. Never heard an Orbit Shifter.

Either of these costs more than my first 2 cars added together...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts