Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an Amp to power a 15" TC2000. The Face F700TS caught my eye. This is definitely the most I could swallow, as far as budget, and its still hard to swallow... I just want, clean, pure power. From the little I found on these Amp, they are very high quality. Is this correct?

I'd love to spend $400 of a Crown or QSC, but I just dont know if they have the beef for my sub. Obviously, the Face Amp is twice as much, whats everyone's opinion on this line of Amps? Is the premium just for looks or a brand? It weighs 50lbs, I'm assuming it can put out its rated power.

What do you guys think. I'm new to all this Pro Amps stuff. Also considering the Elemental Designs LT1300 plate Amp.

If it matters, I have a Pioneer VSX1120 AVR. It uses RCA for preouts. I'm thinking a sealed enclosure, so no HPF necessary, correct?

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, the sub is a SVC 4ohm. The F700 is rated 1800 watts at 4ohms bridged.

I see it has dual fans. Is this a "loud" Amp? This will be in the same room as the listening, roughly 6-8ft away.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I know the Crowns have a good reputation and most models are rated for a 4ohm load. I'd say with being able to hear the fans running or not depends upon how loud you have the volume, alot of other Pro-amps have loud fans but can't comment on the Face Audio products.:dontknow:

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Ive been looking at this amp because its a digital amp without fans and should be ideal for a home sub. Anyone have anything to say on this one, I have interest in Face Audio as well.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Well spotted. I thought the digital ones didnt use fans (I didnt see the rear picture link). Hmm, might not be as perfect as I thought, although I'm sure they are quieter than the big amps.

·
Registered
393 Posts
for the cost, i'd just grab something like an EP4000 and do the fan mod it needs. the difference in volume levels between 1000w and 2000w is litterally 3db. and thats if power compression doesnt become a factor.

I Personally run a QSC RMX2450, Its "rated output" is 2400w rms @ 4 ohm bridged mono. I like my music loud, but i can never seem to get the sub up to where the amp isnt happy. in fact, i barely manage to get heat out of the thing most of the time. The sub would give in well before the amp isnt happy. The TC sounds sub is rated at what> 1000w rms? I wouldnt worry too much about paying twice as much for the amp. The pro amps are the way to go for the dollar in my opinion. and if youre not pushing it to extremes, the fan-mod is the best solution to noise.

You could always modify the unit to have a Rheostat so you could adjust the fan speed for light/heavy usage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is why I made the thread. :)

There are plenty of other Pro amps out there that are rated for the same power, or more, at 4ohms Mono. Problem is, most of those cheaper Pro Amps wont make that rated power. Is that why Face Amps cost more? Do they make rated power?

I read on another forum, the RMX2450 was a Behringer 2500 clone. Only reason say that, is because the RMX was on my list also.

Here are some measurements of various Amps:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=855865

Note, the Behringer did not fair well at 4ohms mono.

I planned on building this:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...t-sub-finished-tc-2000-sealed-vs-jl-f112.html

Notice he has a QSC PLX2 2502, rated for 2500 watts. He seems to think the Amp is limiting the capabilities. The step down 1802 is rated similarly to the Face T700, and priced similarly too. I just dont know what the differences are between these $300 amps rated for 2000+ watts vs these $800 amps rated slightly less. My guess is, they are actually rated more accurately and just better Amps, but thats why i asked. :p

·
Registered
393 Posts
The Behringer and QSC are similar, but its more the Behringer is the clone of the QSC. the QSC uses higher quality, slightly beefier parts, but i bought the QSC because it was only a few dollars more than the behringer, with obviously better internal components.

The real difference tends to be efficiency off the wall, how they rate their power i.e. testing methods, and the last and foremost, if they can passive cool it, can they charge a premium on it?

I've used a crown XTI4000 as well, and a few other QSC amps, what it all breaks down to is that if you are running your sub near power limits often, get the face audio, it will clip less easily. If you only need reserves for when you want to screw around, but 90% of your listening will be under 105db. Then you should get a pro amp and fan mod it. (yes I beleive most people fall under this category.)

Thats my 2 cents, (not to mention most people listen to music at under 16w, and your subs will be the same)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thank you for your input, Binary. That all makes sense and I will definitely consider that when its purchase time. :)

(I also want to make sure I can "get it right the first time" as much as possible. Too many times, I didn't do this and always end up "upgrading" things, which can cost alot more in the long run. Also, wondering, "what if" certainly plays into this purchase. THat said, I still need to make sure I have somewhat of a budget and not go crazy here. This Face Amp is right at the top end of what I'm willing to pay.)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I have both the QS2502 and Face F700 and have compared the 2. First off let me say that I am a big fan of QSC amps, I have 4 of them and I have never had a problem except maybe that the fans are loud and need to be replaced to quite them down.

I was using my 2502 to power 2 PR subs, 1 with a 12" AP Axis and 18" PR and the other a 15" TC3K with dual 15" VMP's. Both subs can take more power but I was just testing them out and the 2502 ran them both just fine. When I got a killer deal on a Face F700 I replaced the 2502 and matched the levels just to see how they compare. I actually did this about 6 months ago or more but I distinctly remember liking the F700 better as it's fan was quite enough to not need a new one and the bass sounded noticeably better. Not to mention the Face has to be one of the best looking pro amps out there and the build quality is excellent.

I was so impressed by the F700 that I found a deal on the F1200 and compared it to my QSC 3402. I ddn't have a lot of time to compare but driving a sealed Mal-X 18" I would have to say the 3402 edged out the F1200 but it was not night and day. The 3402 just seamed to have that extra gear to really drive the 18" and it has bested all comers so far.

I am still tempted to keep all the Face amps I now have, look at how nice they look:bigsmile:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, that looks nice! :D

Thank you for that comparison. It makes me feel good about my purchase. I ended up ordering the F700 from DIYcable. It should be here tomorrow. :D. It will power a TC2000 15", eventually.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts