Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Falcon Screens is a newcomer to the manufactured screen world. The owner, Rich Antonucio - member snickers1, sent me a sample of their screen material and frame. They deal only in fixed frame acoustically transparent material at this time.

Falcon Screens came about as Rich worked on his home theater. As is the case with most of us, Rich was looking for ways to cut costs by doing a lot of the work himself. When it came time for him to select a screen his wife told him "You've built everything else from scratch. Can't you build your own screen and save some money?" And thus, Falcon Screens was born! ;)

Frame

The frame is built from sturdy aluminum with a state of the art quick connect corner bracing system. Here's Falcon's video on installing the quick connect corner system:

The framing is 3 1/2" wide with a nice beveled edge and 1 3/4" thick. It is extremely solid/beefy! It's wrapped in black velvet which will most assuredly absorb any over scan from your projected image.

The backside of the frames has a number of screws that attach to nuts within the framing. It's to these screws that you will attach the screen material via O-rings supplied with the screen.

Screen Material

The screen material is named Falcon Vision HD and is a woven material that seems to have some sort of a coating applied. I believe the coating is to hold the material together as opposed to providing any sort of optical enhancement. Here are some magnifications of the screen material:

10X

60X

200X

The coating is evident in the 60X and 200X shots.

Falcon screens claims the material has a gain of 1.1. I may be able to double check this in the future but it appears to be around the 1.0 mark to me.

I measured the screen material with my i1pro Spectrophotometer to check it's neutrality. Since this is an acoustically transparent material, I folded over the material until there was nothing peeking through the small holes.

It's not exactly a dead on neutral but it is a white material and white screens are the most forgiving. Color temp came in at 6382 and RGB values are 242 244 239 respectively.

Cost

A 100" 16:9 screen will cost you $1100. That's about $120 less than a Seymour Premier frame screen and quite a bit less than what I recall SmX charging way back when (I believe SmX is out of business now :huh:). That's quite the savings when you figure the materials are pretty similar.

Warranty

Falcon Screens warranties their screen material for one year and the beefy frame for 10 years.

Conclusion

If I were on the market for an acoustically transparent screen today, I wouldn't hesitate to give Rich a call. The framing is as I stated above, extremely solid and the screen material is of high quality. And pricing seems to be on the low end for these types of screens. I highly recommend Falcon Screens. :T

http://www.falconscreens.com/

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Great initial review Mech! :T

If they would work on bettering the spectral curve so it's more neutral they would really have something!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
So how acoustically transparent is it really? Did you do any audio testing on it?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I never could find a screen that sounded all that good to me, in terms of acoustically transparent screens.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I never could find a screen that sounded all that good to me, in terms of acoustically transparent screens.
here was test done by one of Falcons Customers thought it was worth sharing

"no screen

No Screen vs Screen:

Here is the "no screen" response and the response after a quick EQ adjustment:

Just like the screen isn't even there... Very very pleased with the results!

Here are all graphs combined for reference:"

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
That looks transparent enough to me. :T

I believe that is Popalocks screen isn't it?

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
I am thinking seriously of getting one for my HT garage conversion project.

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Yep he is so picky on the Audio side of things i knew he would give it the best test.
Per our conversation... I might be picking your screen for my HT. How long is the turn around?

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
2 weeks is our standard lead time.
That is better than my Jamestown was for sure. :T

When you get back to me on the price we will nail this down. :T

1 - 14 of 14 Posts