Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to calibrate my soundcard to use with REW. I have the fast track ultra. I am not sure how to properly plug everything in the do the calibration. I plugged my speakers in the output 1 and 2 in the back of the audio interface and I have a 1/4 inch cable running from output 3 in the back to microphone input 1 in the front. Is this the correct set up? Should I have phantom power on or off? Thank you for helping me I cant find much on the fast track ultra and I want to make sure I am doing this right.

Also when I plugged it in this way and tried to calibrate the out was at -12 dB. I tried to match up the meter labeled left by turning the main output knob up. the CH 1 knob was turned all the way up and I didn't mess with any settings on the mixer section in the software that came with the audio interface. Every time I would turn the Main output up I would get close but could not get to the -12db output setting. I figured they were supposed to match up. Along with that the sound level was unbearably loud and would cause my speakers to distort. I cant for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong or right lol. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
9,279 Posts

Welcome to the Forum, adjamant!

For calibrating the sound card you aren’t supposed to have it hooked up to your playback system. Just run a cable from the sound card’s output to its input for the calibration. You don’t need phantom power, but it’s only available for XLR inputs anyway, not the 1/4” connections you’re using. If all fails and you can’t obtain a calibration, it’s probably no big deal. Decent quality sound cards these days typically have virtually ruler-flat response out of the box, even ones way cheaper than yours.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for answering Wayne I appreciate you taking the time to help me. If I avoid the soundcard calibration is there something different I should do. I am trying to test my room using the ECM8000. Also what levels should by audio interface me at to make for proper measurements or does that not matter much?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here I have attached my rew file of the calibration. I am not sure what this information means exactly but from the first graph I am assuming things went ok. If you don't mind letting me know what you think I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts