Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I've got Elton John: One Night Only: The Greatest Hits Live! I love the music, but the video is horrendous. About the worst I've seen, with the exception of Little Feat.

It appears it is included in Dream Ticket. Is it just as bad in this set and how are the other concerts?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sonnie said:
I've got Elton John: One Night Only: The Greatest Hits Live! I love the music, but the video is horrendous. About the worst I've seen, with the exception of Little Feat.

It appears it is included in Dream Ticket. Is it just as bad in this set and how are the other concerts?
Yep. Typical horrible video quality, but I don't mind one bit because the experience is amazing and ust tons of fun.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I love concerts. I went to my first when I was 12 in 1978. Bad Company. I've been hooked ever since.

I have dozens of favorite concerts, my latest being Rammstein: Live Aus Berlin
. The scale of the show is amazing.

Depeche Mode: One Night in Paris: The Exciter Tour 2001 is a must see too. My wife surprized me with 7th row tickets to this show when it came to Houston.

C

·
0 Posts
This is not my favorite DVD, but my wife purchased "Destiny's Child - Live in Atlanta" and it's a surprisingly good DVD. The 5.1 mix sounds great, and there are about 20 different songs during the concert. Most pop concert DVDs have either too much crowd noise or are just a really bad mix, but this one is good. I would recommend it.

A

·
0 Posts
I have experienced the Eagles and their Hell Freezes Over at Pupton's,
he has a much better system than I do, and I can say that the guitarwork
sounded great.

On my own system, the best I have heard so far is Hillsong/Delirious: Unified Praise.
I am so new to HT that I have not had a chance to catch others yet.
I am looking forward to trying out much more.

But Bob, I wonder if a DVD can catch the mood of the days when you could
walk down shadyside late 60's/early 70's and stop in at a club in the afternoon and sit and listen
to the musicians rehearsing for their upcoming performance that night...

akitaboy

·
Registered
32 Posts
My two favorites (both mentioned already):

Eric Clapton - One More Car, One More Rider (DTS track is awesome)
The Eagles - Farewell Tour (This and Hell Freezes Over have the best sound mix of any concert DVD I've heard so far.)

Clapton's One More Car, One More Rider, is far and away the best DVD soundtrack I have ever heard. The whole DVD is great but if you want to impress your buddies (or customers in my case) put on tracks 15, 16, and 17 (Cocaine, Wonderful Tonight, then into Layla) which is beyond intense. :hail: :hail: :hail:

And you may laugh, but Cyndi Lauper put out a DVD not too long ago called Live...At Last, and while overall its a decent DVD sonically, Track 12 (True Colors) for some reason rivals even the best Clapton or Eagles song in terms of sonic performance. Just listening to those vocals on that one song is reason enough to buy it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Pink Floyd- The Pulse
Neil Young- Heart of Gold
Led Zeppelin- 2 dvd set
Queen- Greatest Video Hits 1
Peter Frampton- Live in Detroit
James Taylor- Pull Over

These are some of my favorites and some are even recorded in DTS

·
Registered
96 Posts
Bobby McFerrin | Live in Montreal

This is Bobby's performance at the 2005 Montreal Jazz Festival, and it's simply astounding. I think Bobby McFerrin is one of the most talented vocalists I've ever heard. Excellent tone, perfect intonation and pitch, and very creative.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Concert DVDs aren't something I purchase with any regularity. They have to be timeless and appeal to my musical tastes as well. And my tastes are far from mainstream. So aside from the aforementioned Eagles disc my two favorites are:

Mahler: Symphony No. 2. Staatskapelle Berlin; Pierre Boulez, conductor
Euroarts DVD 2054418

Jazz Scene USA: 1962 recordings of Stan Kenton and his Orchestra (including mellophoniums!), and the Frank Rosolino Quartet.
Shanachie DVD 6311

·
Registered
64 Posts
Pulse - as this was my first real concent I ever attended...
Primus - Hallucino-Genetics Tour...a must for any Primus fan. Frizzle Fry in its entirety and Tim on Drums!

Awaiting my copy of Les Claypool's Fancy band DVD - The concert in Vancouver was intense.
Also awaiting Jesse Cook's DVD

·
Registered
568 Posts
Just saw Heart, Live in Seattle. Terrific video, Nancy is the most beautiful woman in Rock. Ann looked good, from the knees down, but boy can she sing! She might have lost some weight.

Presented in DD and DTS 5.0.

Attachments

O

·
0 Posts
Diana Krall - Live in Paris DTS edition

Great music with excellent sound stage. I am not even a fan of Diana Krall, but this recording is phenomenal.

B

·
0 Posts
Not mentioned was:
Queen - We Will Rock You.
It was recorded in 1982, but the audio is still awesome. You have to get past Freddie Mercury losing clothes as the songs go on, but a real good concert.
I played it for a friend about two years ago, he still talks about it (the sound, not Freddie)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yanni Live-The Concert Event

Don't laugh - it's a stellar DVD, a concert of epic proportions. Very high quality and a great musical experience. I have played this for people that point and laugh when I mention Yanni and they end up buying it for themselves. Also recorded in DTS. Best $20 I've spent in years

·
Registered
568 Posts
Just got this Deep Purple DVD. Will give it a spin.

·
Registered
275 Posts
This one is "put the remote down and just watch/listen" kind of good. Remarkable musicianship and composition.

Tim
:drive:

21 - 40 of 88 Posts