Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search, and saw there was no thread on this subject. I'm surprised.........

My favorite concert, for a single big name band, was The Doobie Brothers. They were excellent live! Saw them twice, and both times, they were outstanding!
First time was at Duke University, right after the Captain & Me album.
Second time was at Carrowinds Theme Park, in Charlotte, just after Takin' It To The Streets album came out, so Michael McDonald was with them then.

My favorite overall concert, was Atlanta Pop Festival, in 1970. It was one of those three day concerts. I saw so many great groups! Groups like Mountain, B.B. King, John Sebastian, Allman Bros., Rare Earth (remember them?), and one I'm extra glad I saw ............. Jimi Hendrix (3-4 months later, he was dead).

The concert was July 3,4,and 5, 1970. It was at Atlanta Race Track, outside Atlanta. It was HOT, in more ways than one! :)
Hendrix played his version of The National Anthem, the night of July 4th, just after dark, when they started the fireworks! It sent chills down my spine. Probably everyone else's too.

I also spent some time that weekend, down at a river (about a mile from the concert), skinny dippin', with about 20,000 other people, trying to cool off! Never seen so many naked people! :D Cops had to direct traffic, because so many guys and girls were walking up to the road naked, and jumping off the bridge, into the river. The cops never tried to bust anybody, or indecent exposure or drugs (which there was a lot of). They would have had to call in the Army, to help control close to 500,000 people, if they had tried to bust anybody. So, they never even said anything to anybody. They enjoyed the concert and the naked people too!

If you'll do a Google search for "Atlanta Pop Festival", you'll get a bunch of pages on the subject. There was one in 1969 also, but Woodstock over-shadowed that one, so we didn't hear about it.

Was anyone here at the 1970 Atlanta Pop Festival?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Growing up in London, Ontario, Canada (half way between Toronto and Detroit), I did not get a lot of live concert opportunities. I did see Lighthouse at least once and quite enjoyed that. The concert that stands out in my memory though was B.B. King.

I was only about 15 at the time. None of my friends knew who he was so I went alone. The concert was at the University of Western Ontario. I ran into one of the older guys from my neighborhood. He was there with a bunch of his university friends. They were all in their late teens and early twenties. They insisted that I sit with them when they found out I was alone.

The concert was fantastic of course.
I got taken along to all the after concert activities as well.
Quite a memorable experience in many ways. :whistling:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Wow... I've been to so many concerts it's hard to choose which one I would say is my favorite, but I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count. :sarcastic:

Spoiler
Pink Floyd: May 1, 1994 Legion Field, Birmingham, Alabama - The Division Bell Tour with David Gilmour, Richard Wright, Nick Mason, Jon Carin, Dick Parry, Guy Pratt, Tim Renwick, Gary Wallis, Durga McBroom, Sam Brown and Claudia Fontaine.

A close runner up would be the Eagles in 1994-1995... saw them in Orlando, Florida and in Birmingham, Alabama.

I use to be a ticket broker so I've seen nearly everyone that toured the southeast in the 90's.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I grew up in South-Africa and can honestly say that nobody toured there. As a young adult I lived in Amsterdam and got to see some bands, stand out concerts would be Pink Floyd in Leuven, Belgium. The Rolling Stones I saw in Nijmeging, Holland, great experience but too many people,about 50 000 iirc. Seeing Page and Plant in Rotterdam though blew me away, I have always liked Led Zeppelin and it was as close to seeing Zeppelin as I was ever going to get. Other gigs that have stood out would be Nick Cave Solo in Helsinki, Finland a few years back and then The White Stripes in Stockholm, Sweden.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
The Rolling Stones, The Tattoo You tour. Actually, any time I see these guys, it's awesome.

Probably the most "fun" concert I ever saw was an all day concert that ended with The Beat Farmers. Just one of the garage bands that did well; however, Country Dick Montana (their drummer and part time lead singer) was just as entertaining to watch as anyone I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot -- I worked security at special events all through college.

Another great "concert" was a local band back in the mid-80's. A friend of mine and I went to a local club and saw a group called The X-Men that had recently signed a record deal. A great crowd pleasing group. Since you've never heard of them, it's obvious they never "made it", but man, that was a great show.

Even though I don't care for him, Bruce Springsteen had one of the best concerts I've been at. You could just feel the "electricity" in the air with that one. I saw David Bowie's Glass Spiders tour -- that was one of the best concert productions I've ever seen.

My favorite recent concert was Flogging Molly that I saw at an outdoor venue. Crowd was into it. It wasn't too big. I love the band. The beer wasn't ridiculously overpriced and it was "the good stuff". Two :T:T from me.

Anyway, there's my contribution.

JCD

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I would say the Anberlin concert in Australia. The band was great. Sound wasn't that great but I enjoyed the music

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Bare Naked Ladies. Maybe it's because it's the last one I went to. Or maybe because it was my wife's birthday and we had a great time. I don't know but those guys put on a good show.

I was a big Kiss fan in my younger years and they always put on a great show. Until they took the make-up off. :raped:

I loved the George Thorogood shows as well... I got a haircut, now I need a real job!

mech

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I have a hard time choosing one, but I'd have to rank the Pink Floyd Animals Tour, Ray Charles Live, and the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival as my best experiences. Another that was a joy was Vince Gill. He is a truly gifted guitarist who just loves to play and a joy to watch.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Way back when I used to go to big stadium shows but now I only go to smaller venues (couple of thousand seats). Of the stadium shows I've seen, I think Peter Gabriel (the tour following So) was my favorite. (Had I been able to see Pink Floyd live, I'm sure that would have won.)

Of the small venue shows, I think the Decemberists was my favorite. Although I really enjoyed seeing the Ditty Bops at the Steppenwolf (Chicago) basement theater for it's incredibly intimate feel.

Mitch

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's easy.

Bruce Springsteen. Opening Night. Born in the USA tour. 19 row floor seats at Giant's Stadium in New Jersey. Literally the most amazing concert I've ever seen. All energy and no pretension (See David Lee Roth for that).

Conversely - the worse show I've ever seen? Right now the Police reunion show at Dodger Stadium sticks in my mind. Wow did that suck. I mean the band screwed up so many times I might've well gone and seen a Police cover band. On the plus side, Foo Fighters opened and they rocked!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Ted Nugent, 1979, Jenison Field House, East Lansing, Michigan. All out energy for the entire concert. Nuge can rock:yay:.

A

·
0 Posts
A couple of years ago, I was given two tickets to see Dick Dale, who I thought I had missed the chance of ever seeing live. He appeared in a local ..don't know what to call it, it wasn't high class enough to call a club.. and my wife complained that the backup band was loud. I told her, "you haven't heard Dick Dale..."

I just sat and enjoyed his in your face take no prisoners approach.
It may be the last live appearance I go to, but it was my favorite. I played guitar on the local scene here in Ohio while Dale was really hot in California, but I had never gotten the chance to hear him live. Ironic but very appreciated was the chance to finally experience his direct attack on the senses. I had seen the Ventures back in 1964 or so, but they didn't even come close to the king of the surf guitar.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ive been to a lot of concerts but one of the best was Jethro Tull at Madison Square Garden on the War Child tour, next was The Eagles on the Long Run tour in Boston and Neil Young at Jones Beach Amphitheater while he sings Harvest Moon with the actual moon rising behind the stage. These shows were magic. Also the 3 tenors in Red Square Moscow Russia and the Rolling Stones at Wembley Stadium in England :jump:

·
Registered
228 Posts
My two favorite concerts. The first real concert I ever went to was way back in '72 or '73, Led Zepplin was the main act and the opening act was a band who's first album had just released, Santana. It was in a small place and was incredible.
I've always liked the Moody Blues and have seen them three times here in Atlanta at Chastain Park.
Lots of others come to mind, The Allman Brothers, Weather Report, Jim Croce(sp?). Remember The Shadows of Night? Joe Kelly? Growing up in Chicago allowed me to see lots of bands before they were really known.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
My two favorites are Doug Kershaw 1979 and Loverboy 1982. Both concerts were at the Saskatoon Centennial Auditorium. Both times we were seated in the first row center of the top center balcony looking down through the smoke and the haze. The acoustics were awesome!

·
Registered
472 Posts
RUSH ,spring 78 on the A Farewell to Kings tour at the Peterborough Memorial Center.This was just before they became really big.I was blown away by their talent and you would think that there were 5 guys on stage instead of just 3.

·
Registered
63 Posts
RUSH ,spring 78 on the A Farewell to Kings tour at the Peterborough Memorial Center.This was just before they became really big.I was blown away by their talent and you would think that there were 5 guys on stage instead of just 3.
Was that in N.H.. I saw them at Franklin Pierce in Rindge at around the same time, they were really good.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I guess the one that made the biggest impression on me would be the first real concert I ever attended. Santana opened for Led Zepplin.
My favorite? Really hard to say, I saw the Allmon Brothers right before Greg was killed. Loved Weather Report, couldn't believe 3 guys could make so much sound, I've seen the Moody Blues the most, loved every show. I've liked so many different styles of music over the years, Jim Croce, way back when, remember Leon Redbone? saw him several times, funny show and good music if you like the style. Charlie Daniels back in the early 80's was a good show.
If I had to pick my absolute favorite, I'd say The Moody Blues.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I guess I'm just not experianced enugh with concerts, I've never been to an arena show, I always see really small venue shows, and I plan on attending smaller ones in the future.

Of what Ive seen, my favorites include Billy Idol in '05, Primus in '06 and a very strange thing happened when I saw Les Claypool earlier that year, the opening act is the only thing I spesifically remember from the show. Rasputina played thier well known (ahem) cover of Barracud and my socks almost exploded. ******* awesome to hear a pair of cellos burn up that song. I missed out when they toured through my area this summer, but next time they come near hear, Im sure Ill be revising my list, Ive never heard a bad word spoken about Melora Creager's live shows. Im still ticked off to have missed that.:hissyfit:

I can easily tell you the worst show ive seen. With out a doubt, Deep Purple. Aweful sound system, bad vocals, really old weirdos tripping on acid all over the place, and the nagging feeling that my car was not safe where I parked it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts