Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
There are a few shows that have really grabbed me, these would include The Sopranos, Oz (cruel but fascinating), Shield, Weeds, The West Wing (not that interested in the theme but the dialogue was brilliant),Auf Wiedersein Pet (sp?), Coupling (the British version and only the first few seasons), The Commish, M.A.S.H, 'Allo 'Allo, Californication.

·
Senior Shackster
792 Posts
My favorite TV shows are ones that have repeat potential and interest to me.
Of course this is purely subjective but my all time favorites are:

COMEDIES:

"The Honeymooners"
"Get Smart"
"It's About Time" (Public domain ony available in bootlegs)
"Captain Nice" (Public domain only available in bootlegs)
"Barney Miller" (still waiting for the other seasons to be released)
"The Abbott and Costello Show"

DRAMAS:

"Columbo"
"The Rockford Files"
"The Time Tunnel"

I enjoyed watching a number of contemporary shows including
"The Sopranos", "Desperate Housewives", "Law and Order",
"Law and Order: SVU" and "CSI" along with older shows
like "LA Law". However, after watching them once I have no desire
to see them again even though all were well made and had fine
performances. Part of the problem with many current shows is
they depict the urban setting and lifestyle ("Law and Order" etc.)
which is more difficult for me to relate to since I've spent my entire
life in the suburbs.

I guess I generally prefer sit-coms because it's entertaining to watch
the actor's comic timing and reactions over and over again, similar
to the way I watch old comedy movies ever now and then. Sort of
like listening to a favorite song over the years.

I tried the Irish version of "The Sopranos" called "The Brotherhood"
recently and just couldn't get into the characters.

"Sex and the City" TV show started out funny but the last season
was too grim and I lost interest in it.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
1. What is your ALL-TIME favorite TV show series? Stargate SG-1
2. What are your favorite current TV shows? Burned Notice, Pysch
3. What recently aired or new shows are you watching or looking forward to seeing? Stargate Universe(it's something different and I like that)
4. What shows did you try out that fizzled out on you and/or outright bombed? Enterprise
5. What are your favorite past time shows that you really liked? Anything Star Trek, Macgyver, Gunsmoke, Andy Griffith, Gomer Pyle.

·
Registered
531 Posts
1. What is your ALL-TIME favorite TV show series? (Even if it no longer airs.)
This is a tough one but I think I'll go with Breaking Bad which is still on the air.

2. What are your favorite current TV shows? (Even if they are not in season at the moment.)
Breaking Bad, Dexter & Top Gear

3. What recently aired or new shows are you watching or looking forward to seeing?
Boardwalk Empire (so far it's OK), The Event (I don't have much faith in this one)

4. What shows did you try out that fizzled out on you and/or outright bombed?
Chuck - it was very predictable and boring.

5. What are your favorite past time shows that you really liked?
Arrested Development, Extras, The Sopranos, The Shield, Quantum Leap, MASH

·
Registered
16 Posts
Current......NCIS, The Mentalist, Two and a Half Men
A little older......Boomtown, American Gothic, Homicide: Life on the Street

Rich

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
According to jim as a past time show. When i get a chance to watch TV it's usually something on the History, Discovery, TLC, etc. When i was young i think The Incredible Hulk, Mcgyver and the A-Team were my favorites. :T

·
Super Moderator
9,209 Posts

Alias: Just a really cool show that I wish they would revive.
Check out USA’s Covert Affairs. Not quite as action-intense, but still really good. Just wrapped its first season, but you might be able to catch re-runs.

My all-time favorite show, the only one I enjoy watching over and over, is The Rockford Files. Maverick would probably be second – wish they’d bring it out on DVD.

Our current favorites are Forensic Files (and similar crime shows in TruTV and Discovery ID)The Gates, Scoundrels, Burn Notice, Covert Affairs, Dark Blue, Memphis Beat, and Warehouse 13. In addition wife likes Castle, Army Wives, Parenthood and Survivor.

We’ve tuned into Blue Bloods mainly for Tom Selleck. So far it doesn’t look bad.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
130 Posts
Answer some or all and use any format you desire... this is simply a guideline for those who might find it easy to use.

1. What is your ALL-TIME favorite TV show series? (Even if it no longer airs.)
  2. What are your favorite current TV shows? (Even if they are not in season at the moment.)
  3. What recently aired or new shows are you watching or looking forward to seeing?
  4. What shows did you try out that fizzled out on you and/or outright bombed?
  5. What are your favorite past time shows that you really liked?
1. MASH, Carol Burnett and Friends, The Cosby Show

2. Lie to Me, NCIS and NCIS/LA, Hells Kitchen, Top Chef, Masterchef, Breaking Bad

3. Top Chef Champions

4a. I loved L&O Criminal Intent with Vincent Dinaffrio (sp?). Now that he is gone I am not interested in the series.
4b. I never really found the Office to be that funny.
4c. Weeds - first season or two was interesting...now its played out.
4d. How I Met Your Mother - just tell us who the mother is already..NPH is brilliant in this one.
4e. Big Bang Theory - kind of stale now.

5. Rome, The Tudors, Pillars of the Earth

·
Registered
68 Posts
Favorite TV Shows
Lie To ME, Leverage, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Monk, Law and Order SVU & CI

Some other intresting (for my kid as well as me)
Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, Avatar: The last air bender all three books, and others

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Favorite Over The Air TV Shows

This year on broadcast TV I am watching:
House
Bones
Castle
Fringe
Human Target
Good Wife

House... Quickly losing interest, they have lost the formula
Bones... Seems to be back on track, Booth's new love is holding up her end of the script
Castle.... If you have not watched this I highly recommend giving it a try
Human Target... New characters this year, which they didn't need, more Chance and Guerrero less of everyone else
The Good Wife... This is a pretty good show, it is always on the chopping block, I hope it hangs in there a couple more seasons
Fringe.... Thankfully Olivia made it back from the other side because the brain trust being oblivious to the fake Olivia was unbearable.... maybe they will get back on track now before the plug is pulled

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have to be honest here and say that my favorite show (besides sopranos) is glee. if you know me, you know i love to sing and dance and glee has it all. remmeber, i said i also love sopranos. and that would be the perfecdt show if they would sing. dont get me wrong, i love the drama, but its music for me.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Revisiting a few of these...

Flash Forward couldn't make it to season two... no surprise.

Another one that seems similar is The Event. There just doesn't seem to be any closure... probably close to how Lost dragged out. It is a constant back and forth battle with neither side really ever winning or accomplishing much.

How about The Chicago Code. I am somewhat liking it, but not crazy about the cast.

Glee has found a home with me... love the singing.

I am curious about The Walking Dead and trying to get it rented with Netflix, but it seems they only have one copy and fifty-eleven people waiting for it.

21 - 40 of 136 Posts