Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchase a fbq2496 for my dj sound system. It will be connected to my low sub for
feedback problem. I need some help on programming it. I would like to use the parametric
eq 30 - 90 hz for bass boost with feedback destroying for my mic stage at live events.
Could you give me some help on how to program the fbq2496. The 2496 is connected to my
mixer sub out and my low sub crossover. How do i set the filter to a 6db boost 30 - 90 hz and use it also as a feedback destroyer. Thanks, note this is used strictly on low subs.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Howdy don and welcome to the Shack.

It sounds like maybe you will want to look over the BFD Guide. Trying to teach you how to program it in a forum thread will be a real challenge. The Guide should help you fine with the boosting part (see page two - Manual Method), but as far as the feedback, I would simply follow the provided manual instructions for that. I am not sure you can do both at one time.

·
Super Moderator
9,310 Posts

Hi Don,

With the FBQ connected to your mixer’s sub out, you won’t be able to do both sub EQ and feedback eliminating (at least, none above the crossover frequency). To do both, you would have to connect the EQ in front of your crossover. Naturally, any 30-90 Hz boost you do with it connected like that will affect the main speakers as well as the subs.

Another option, if your mixer has an insert for the mic channel, you could patch one channel of the FBQ there, and use the other channel for the sub out, as you have done now.

Also, when you say you want to boost between 30-90 Hz, that’s pretty much the full range of the sub, isn’t it? Why not just turn the sub up?

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I dj parties my fbq is only use for the sub, not mains, Is it possible to use 1 filter for peq set to 80 hz and use the other filters for single shot or auto filter. My rig is setup for 4 way highs, mid, low mid,& sub. High to low mid is feed from my main to a dbx driverack PA and and my sub to the fbq.

·
Super Moderator
9,310 Posts

Is it possible to use 1 filter for peq set to 80 hz and use the other filters for single shot or auto filter.
The FBQ is a bit different than the BFD most of us use, but it should be possible - if you connect the FBQ in front of the driverack. The manual can give you further instructions on how and if you can use parametric and feedback controls simultaneously.

Doesn’t the driverack have parametric equalizing? You could use that to take care of your feedback problem w/o inserting another processor in your main-channel signal chain.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
In that case... just do like Wayne suggested... turn up the bass to boost it all and then let the FBQ do its thing with the feedback. I will automatically destroy any feedback. The manual should explain how to set that up. We mainly deal with using it for the parametric equalizer.

·
Super Moderator
9,310 Posts

When i turn down the bass on the mic channel down, the mic sounds thinny,
Well, I see people using too much bass in vocal mics all the time.

It should be considered: What is the ultimate goal of a sound system? Ideally, it should sound natural, only louder, should it not? After all, that’s what “high fidelity” means. Keeping that in mind, what does your voice sound like without amplification, vs. with the mic through system? Without amplification, I doubt your voice has a boomy, resonating bottom end. So amplified, it shouldn’t either! So yes, your voice probably should sound a bit “thin” through the PA system, because that’s the way it sounds without the system.

Of course, some people think it sounds better with excessive bass, so if that’s what floats your boat...

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.