Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any options or possibilities for automating REW? I can be a programmer's interface (java I'd presume), script, command line, anything really. Even If I had to record the mouse and keyboard to be able to make "macros" would be helpful.

When making a larger set of adjustments, I have a very iterative workflow. E.g. when setting the timing distance for the SUB, you increase the delay until the passband between the SUB and mains are flat enough and without too many other "artifacts". You set a distance, measure, increase distance, measure, and so on. This is extremely tedious.

The thing is I already have an application for controlling Yamaha receivers which I use to control the SUB timing, so I can automate it for multiple measurements. If I could automate REW, I'd be a VERY happy camper!

Same goes for getting measurements of a 8 channel surround system: Set ASIO channel, measure, set ASIO channel, measure. Doing this at customers is tedious and takes precious time.

Is there anything I can contribute with in this context?

Thanks for considering this.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
It is one of the things on the list of features to consider, but that is a very long list. Although I can't say when I'd be able to look at it, it would be helpful to have some specifics of exactly what steps you would like to automate in various scenarios so I can give some thought to how that might be accomplished.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is one of the things on the list of features to consider, but that is a very long list. Although I can't say when I'd be able to look at it, it would be helpful to have some specifics of exactly what steps you would like to automate in various scenarios so I can give some thought to how that might be accomplished.
Yes, I realise that the list of new features is long and I appreciate it.

My uses for automation is basically only related to measurements. All data analysis is made by hand afterwards, so that is not important for me to automate.

Step 1 for me would be to able to trigger a measurement externally. Meas settings can all well be fixed to whatever values is set in the measure dialogue.

Step 2 would be to be able to save the said measurements to a file (with name given as argument - not file dialogue) -- and perhaps remove all meas after save.

Step 3 would be to be able to configure ASIO output channel. Now, I understand this is perhaps the most strange of this request, but it is currently the only way to use REW for multichannel measurements. You have to jump in and out of the preferences to change the output channel inbetween measurement.

You see, one use case would be to be able to run a script which automatically measures all 8 speakers of a multichannel setup by iterating over the ASIO output channels and making a measurement for each of the channels and saving this in to a measurement set. It would save me a lot of (customer) time!

BTW: Perhaps this is another feature request: Add output channel as a parameter on the make a measurement dialogue? Then one wouldn't have to jump in and out of preferences to change the channel.

Does this list answer your question?

Thanks once more!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which application is this?
One I've written myself. Yamaha receivers use a XML-based config system for settings in their technical setup interface (accessed from http ://<Ip-address>/Setup/). This page uses a web based java script interface to get and set configuration, and it's actually straight forward to extract the config protocol for programming your own config changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts