Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Looks great, thank you so much.:T

A couple of picky things:
  • Ctrl-Alt-0 does not work any more to return to "unsmoothed" (toggling via the same key combo works)
  • Ctrl-Alt-Y does not work to apply Psych smoothing to a curve that results from the "Average the Responses" function, nor does the toggle of Ctrl-Alt-Y

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
The Ctrl+Shift+0 shortcut often gets intercepted by Windows before reaching the application (see the help on keyboard shortcuts). Up to Win 8 the workaround in the help of reassigning the language bar hot keys fixed that, but it doesn't seem to fix it for Win 8.1.

I've fixed Ctrl+Shift+Y not working for measurements that do not have an impulse response, that will be in the next build.

·
Registered
7 Posts
HI John! thanks thanks very thanks for FDW.

If I want to apply the auto EQ on FWD smoothing as you would?

I have no option in the EQ section to apply.

Thank you and I hope you will understand me.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Auto EQ is applied to the response with whatever windows you have selected, so if you apply FDW to the measurement (selected in the IR Windows dialog) that windowed response is is what auto EQ will attempt to match to the target. However, the EQ predicted trace in the beta version does not include any selected FDW after filters have been applied, so the measurement and prediction will not correspond very well. It is better not to use FDW with auto EQ in this version.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks John.

I look forward to applying FDW in autoEQ !.

I imagine you've read this great Denis Sobreign DRC-FIR documentation.

Maybe you can help yourself to inspriracion.

Uli (acuorate) and Denis (drc-fir) shared principles in their origins.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Here are Windows and OS X beta versions that allow EQ target match with responses that have frequency-dependent windows applied. Note that FDW and smoothing can be combined, smoothing is recommended if applying EQ above a couple of hundred Hz.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
There are lots of very wide filters because your target level should really be about 6 dB higher - most of the filters are being used to achieve a sort of volume control above 200 Hz or so. If there is a sub then better to increase its volume setting so you don't have to pull everything else down to allow the LF to be higher.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The PSY smoothing is 1/3 octave below 100 Hz, 1/6 octave above 1 kHz. It calculates a cubic mean (cube root of average of the cubed values) to place more emphasis on peaks.
Thanks for the new update, John, especially for the long awaited FDW. I have a question regarding the change to variable smoothing behavior, however. I believe the previous incarnation of variable smoothing decreased the octave resolution as frequency increased, however this version does the opposite, with only 1/3 octave resolution for the lowest frequencies (which were previously not smoothed at all). What was the reason for the change? Or am I misunderstanding how one of the two was employed? It just seemed like a pretty big departure to me and I was curious as to what makes the new implementation superior.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Variable smoothing hasn't changed. Psychoacoustic smoothing is new and is to give more of an indication of how the response would be perceived. It shouldn't be used on responses that are used for EQ target match.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Variable smoothing hasn't changed. Psychoacoustic smoothing is new and is to give more of an indication of how the response would be perceived. It shouldn't be used on responses that are used for EQ target match.
Thank you for the clarification.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Hi John, I finally got around to checking this out.

Here is an REW measure of my right speaker at the listening position. I wanted to see how close the measured response matches the target response. I applied the new psychoacoustic smoothing to the measurement and overlaid my preferred target response. It matches almost perfectly:

Measurement signal path is REW digital output routed to JRiver ASIO (digital) line input using Lynx Hilo internal mixer, through JRiver’s 64 bit Convolution engine, hosting FIR filters containing 3 way digital XO, time alignment, amplitude and excess phase correction, out to 6 channels of Hilo DAC to 6 amps and speakers, right speaker to mic at listening positon, mic preamp, to ADC Hilo converter to REW digital input.

It is amazing to me the level of precision between the target and measured response given the number of transfer functions in the signal path :) With this functionality, I can take multiple measures of my right speaker, like I did around this 6' x 2' grid area, where my couch is, to see what the response looks like across a large sweet spot:

Thanks again!

Cheers, Mitch

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Nate, that was with Psy smoothing only. My mistake, I should have FDW'd as well, which I have here:

I messed up somewhere in the process as these measures are from 1 1/2 years ago...

I am changing one of the XO points in my system which will give me an opportunity to re-measure/compare again. Will post the results.

81 - 100 of 116 Posts