Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JohnM, once more, thanks a lot for an excellent piece of software.

Are there any plans on adding multi-channel or multi-mic support?

With ASIO, using a multi-channel output device is very simple. Changing which channel to use is simple. However, in setups with multiple speakers and multiple seating positions, the sheer number of measurement permutations increases enormously and the manual labor using REW is equally extensive.

My use cases is as follows:

A) I want to measure a multi-channel home theater setup using ASIO, and I'd like to make multiple scans across each of the channels/speakers. I would like to be able to which output channels I'd like to measure, e.g. channel0, channel1, channel2 and so on (L,R,C,LFE,SL,SR) in turn. Each scan would yield individual measurements.

Today I do this manually: Preference -> Select channel 1 -> Measure -> Preference -> Select channel 2 -> and so on. Quite tedious. I have even considered if I could make a script controlling REW automatically somehow, because at a customer's site, this is time consuming.

B) Support for multiple measurement mics (UMIKs). When measuring home theater setups, having multiple measurements for multiple (seating) positions ensures that the adjustments are more even for a wider area. I would like to be able to connect multiple UMIKs and make scans using these all of these microphones in one operation.

As a minimal solution, being able to automatically scan the pre-selected mics/inputs in turn would be sufficient. I don't mind REW having to scan equal number of times of the number of connected microphones, each producing a separate plot. Essentially the same functionality for inputs as proposal A would be for outputs.

I really hope you can consider this. It would move REW up even another notch, and it would make my life a lot easier when using REW when making home theater setups.

Best regards,
Svein Seldal

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you John. This is great news, and I'll be looking forward to the new versions.

BTW, if you need someone to beta test this, I'm more than happy to help out. Drop me a PM if you do. For your consideration of course, no obligation.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts