Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this is buried in there somewhere, I apologize. I'm in the middle of a labor-o-love gear rehab project where I need to do a number of S/N tests of electronics. The feature would be a dB ratio operational mode of the SPL meter or level meters where we could give it a reference tone, poke a button that zeros the meter, then kill the tone and measure residual noise as a minus dB figure relative to the entered reference. Then, drop in various weighting filters, like A, CCIR, etc., perhaps even something arbitrary we could describe in a table, it would be a handy and fast way to get real S/N measurements.

I realize, of course, the limitations of sound cards would place a noise floor on the measurements, but that too could be tested for, and known, perhaps an indication of it with a readout color change as you dip below that residual of the system...just an idea.

Related: calibrate the meter and generator with real, known input voltages. DBFS is great, but when you're out in the real analog world, at some point we need to know actual voltages. DB ratio would integrate nicely here too.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
You can do that with the SPL meter now, just calibrate it with the reference tone playing and tell it the cal level is 0 dB.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts