Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in feedback as to how you think the in-room sound would be, with a miniDSP unit which has 2 different sets of PEQ settings. The mic inputting to REW was located where the listener's head would be.

Attachment #1 is with the miniDSP PEQ settings left by the guy who initially set up the miniDSP for me.
Attachment #2 is after quite a few hours of playing with different PEQ settings.

BTW, although both graphs show a massive increase in the LF response, relative to the rest of the frequency spectrum ... listening in the room does not show up overwhelming bass from the subs. In fact the bass seems very 'balanced'- even with the first set of PEQ settings.

My view is that the 2nd set of PEQ settings should be a better listening experience as it doesn't have the frequency variations which the first one has. At the same time, it will come across as having much more mid-frequency 'weight'.

Am I correct? :scratch:

Andy

EDIT: Sorry, I don't seem to be able to attach the graphs ... only the files. :crying:

Attachments

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
a massive increase in the LF response
Yes but it is not as noticeable with that fairly smooth, even, "tilted" FR profile. That profile tends to have a "powerful" sound and feel, but can also seem a little lifeless, and should give the impression of bass that is not overly strong. The missing midrange will be quite noticeable in the first case. In the second case, the restored midrange should give a sense of detail and help dialogue clarity.

My view is that the 2nd set of PEQ settings should be a better listening experience as it doesn't have the frequency variations which the first one has. At the same time, it will come across as having much more mid-frequency 'weight'.
That should be the case. The experience would improve somewhat, I believe, if there was a little bit of a lift in the mid response, about 1/2 to 1 db (relative to the FR yo have now) between, say, 2 kHz and 3 kHz, Just a little sparkle there really livens the sound.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes but it is not as noticeable with that fairly smooth, even, "tilted" FR profile. That profile tends to have a "powerful" sound and feel, but can also seem a little lifeless, and should give the impression of bass that is not overly strong. The missing midrange will be quite noticeable in the first case. In the second case, the restored midrange should give a sense of detail and help dialogue clarity.

That should be the case. The experience would improve somewhat, I believe, if there was a little bit of a lift in the mid response, about 1/2 to 1 db (relative to the FR yo have now) between, say, 2 kHz and 3 kHz, Just a little sparkle there really livens the sound.
Thanks, AR - I will try that.

Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts