Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I plan on doing a sub crawl one of these days but have a few questions. So I need to move my couch and place the sub on the floor where I sit? Or do I need to place the sub on top of the couch where I sit and then do the crawl?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If possible, you want to place it where you sit for best results. However, if your couch is not big enough, on the floor where you would sit should be close enough.
Thanks! Well I should be able to throw it up on the couch to run the tests. I need to get an spl meter as well so I can run some sweeps.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you have a friend - you should really try what I did - put the sub on casters and have the friend push it around the room. I used test tones and had the friend push it around until got a good balance. Use test tones, movies and music. Narrow down the good spots and do more detailed testing in those places when you don't have the friend over. For me, this seemed logical that this would be a true test of how it will sound at various places. Casters will also help move it around when testing with REW or other system. YMMV

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have a friend - you should really try what I did - put the sub on casters and have the friend push it around the room. I used test tones and had the friend push it around until got a good balance. Use test tones, movies and music. Narrow down the good spots and do more detailed testing in those places when you don't have the friend over. For me, this seemed logical that this would be a true test of how it will sound at various places. Casters will also help move it around when testing with REW or other system. YMMV
I would have never thought to put it on casters. The only problem I would have is if I couldn't decide where it sounded best. As I wouldn't want to waste their time if I became indecisive. Still a great idea though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I found the prominence of the sound in the sweet spots while doing this to be so obvious you will not need a meter. The spots will jump right out to you as move around the room perimeter. It will be very quick. I found yow spots across the room from one another in about 3 minutes after plopping the sub into my seat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input. I read about rew but I do not have a usb microphone to use with it. The microphones I saw online seemed a little expensive. I have not really looked into it that hard though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice video Andre. That explained things very well. I still might just put my sub on top of my couch in my spot instead of moving the couch. I better go find some longer cables.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya I thought of that. I was also worried that moving the couch out of the way may influence the results as well. I'm not sure of either way it just seemed easier than dragging the couch across the room.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Unfortunately I'm in Canada which makes that tricky :bigsmile:. I'm sure I could find one here but it'll probably be more money. I was down in ND last month and the selection for tools and hardware was fantastic.
Yeah I noticed that and looked to see if there were any home depots in Canada, learned tonight there are not :)

These things are stocked at all of our home stores, Lowe's, Home Depot and a few others so they should not be too hard to find up there...

I have a couple and I plan on trying that method out tomorrow.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You can get a Umik-1 mic from miniDSP for about $70. Having this equipment can help you "see" what your sub is doing at you MLP. From there, you can fine tune placement, phase, distance etc to improve the frequency response. Beyond that, eq may be necessary to get a nice flat response. You might have the ability depending on your equipment. If not, it can be added for about $100.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.