Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been messing with HT for a while but I'm a college student and haven't been able to buy the great stuff, so I find myself doing a lot of reading. I've been eyeing these FI subs for a while and have a question.

My friend and I have a 1992 Ford Econoline with nothing in the rear of it. We've been using it to haul around our ATV's and dirt bikes and have been looking at some subs to throw in it. Would these subs be fit to be used in a large sealed or ported enclosure? I would say we could have a max of 40ft3 in the back of the van dedicated to the speakers.

I'm pretty new to the whole IB setup and don't really know what the difference is between subs and subs that are IB capable or IB dedicated.

Any information is appreciated

Thanks,
Jake

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did some more measurements I could make the enclosures 4Wx2Dx4H. So I'm actually looking at a theoretical max of 64ft^3

·
Registered
292 Posts
You could use two of the IB15's there, but optimally you'd want more space to be "traditional" IB, but the spl won't change too much with more space - and it's not as if you have it all sealed up anyways. Main thing you'd want to do is seal off a wall behind the seats to the back to prevent the backwave from getting through. You'd have one rockin' van.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We thought about making a false wall and just using the whole rear but it's a lot harder to create a seal and a form fit piece behind the seats to fit the curves of the van. Definitely not impossible but more difficult compared to making two enclosures. So does anyone have any recommendations how I should setup the speakers? Sealed or ported, airspace etc...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright so I've read a bit and have heard that I would need a sealed enclosure larger than the VAS of 269.

So I basically need a sealed enclosure over 9.6 ft^3 correct?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
What you really need is to head over to Fi Audio car forum and ask any question you have there. There's a whole lot of qualified car audio guys ready to help with anything! :T

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/

Scroll down to "Fi Car Audio"

Everything you need to know about automotive installations is there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I hope to get an abundance of info from this website and getting my HT as well as our econoline together soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts