Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Long time lurker and few time poster, usually over in the DIY subwoofer section. I figured I'd share my most recent music system build called The Apaches. These use HiVi D8.8+ woofers, D6.8 midranges and Vifa XT25 Ring Radiators. I don't have too many build photos but please enjoy! Sorry for the cell phone pics.

Taking Measurements:

Prototype crossover (one of about 6) :eek:

Eight pounds of final crossover parts:

Woofer:

Midrange:

Tweeter:

Annnnnd after waiting 5 months for my woofers to arrive here is the finished product, with a MUCH better camera:

In room measurements from about 2 feet:

All the bumps in the bottom few octaves are confirmed room nodes. I don't feel the need to add EQ yet, I may down the road.

You can see my blog over at the PE forums here.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Very nice looking build! Why no flush or bottom mount on the woofer? Looks like the midwoofer is surface mounted to get spacing tight with the tweet? Good choice on the p-cores, nice way to go. Your measured response looks awesome too.

If you are giving away any of that mountain of sound absorption material, let me know ;)

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Awesome build! reminds of Wilson audio or some other more then i make a year brand.:hissyfit: Again, very nice.:T

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!!

You certainly have spent a lot of time and effort in both the crossovers and the cabinets. The detail on those boxes looks amazing. :T
What sort of finish did you use.

Bill.
The finish is actually a bottom layer of about 7-8 coats of spray on bedliner. I liked the look but the texture was like glue with EVERYTHING so I rolled on 3 coats of Behr eggshell enamel and thats what you see. Turned out quite nice actually! And went on much more evenly than I originally thought.

Very nice looking build! Why no flush or bottom mount on the woofer? Looks like the midwoofer is surface mounted to get spacing tight with the tweet? Good choice on the p-cores, nice way to go. Your measured response looks awesome too.

If you are giving away any of that mountain of sound absorption material, let me know ;)
Yeah the midwoofer is surface mounted for center to center purposes. If I could have removed the faceplate from the tweeter I would have trimmed that bit of the faceplate off and flush mounted it, but I couldn't. The Woofers have more of a surface mount frame, so flush mounting those was unecessary. Yep those P-cores are nice for sure! That mountain of absorbtion material is actually in the anechoic chamber here at work so, its not actually mine :hissyfit:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Matt, nice looking stereo setup! the speakers look bold and clean, and the cables look great too. I really like the design of the enclosures... like bambino said, a nod to Wilson, but they have their own character. I don't think I've ever heard a ring radiator tweet, how does the finished product sound?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Very impressive build and response curve!

Was this an established build? Or was it something you cooked up yourself?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very impressive build and response curve!

Was this an established build? Or was it something you cooked up yourself?
This was something I cooked up. I loved the appearance of this project so I borrowed the look with a few minor dimension changes for personal taste and cabinet requirements for the woofers I used but everything else was designed from the ground up. I've been designing and building for more than 10 years and I'm always trying to make the next one better, these probably aren't going anywhere for a while.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They're actually two separate enclosures, the uppers just sit on top of the lowers with small spikes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was going to install the spike dishes into the lower cabinets but decided to drill small (1/16") holes where the spikes sat before I painted. This allows for good placement every time but doesnt mar the finish.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I love the finish and it is actually the look I am hoping to get on a set of speakers I am building now.
You say it's spray on bed liner did your spray it on the cabinets or did you use a foam roller?
What about the paint? sprayed or rolled?

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Nice job, those are really sharp! Great in room measurements.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts