Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on the help here I think I have it figured out at least on how to take measurements. I am not sure on how to apply the new settings to the 3000DSP. I entered the initial xover setting based on the thread by Donny (MartyCube FAQ) now I have read with the new settings I change the PEQ starting with the First one? I do not have the space to move the sub to a better location a few inches closer to a wall or further back but that is it. The cube faces the wall and is currently 10" from it, the side of the cube is 6" away from another wall. (it is next to a corner and serves double duty as an end table as well as a sub. I am not looking for perfection just a decent sound that is it. Based on my SPL graphs what would be reasonable improvements?

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There has to be a way instead of having 4 freq. that are between 74.7 and 98 that REW wants to change could I choose one in the middle adjust the gain and the Q so it would cover the width of those freq.'s? I put in the eq filters that REW listed and it does make a difference can anyone offer any advice on bringing up the lower freq.'s? I did get the floor to shake that was kind of neat.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
well... till my mic comes in I haven't even messed with it. at least you know some about how to go about doing things with it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Based on the help here I think I have it figured out at least on how to take measurements. I am not sure on how to apply the new settings to the 3000DSP. I entered the initial xover setting based on the thread by Donny (MartyCube FAQ) now I have read with the new settings I change the PEQ starting with the First one? I do not have the space to move the sub to a better location a few inches closer to a wall or further back but that is it. The cube faces the wall and is currently 10" from it, the side of the cube is 6" away from another wall. (it is next to a corner and serves double duty as an end table as well as a sub. I am not looking for perfection just a decent sound that is it. Based on my SPL graphs what would be reasonable improvements?
Post your .mdat file

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does your amp have filter settings? I ask because I got some funky looking plots when I took my first readings and realized the pin switches on the back of my EP4000 were set to filter frequencies below 50 (or 30 I can't recall exactly) when I know my subs can reach well beyond that. A quick toggle took care of that.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I think if there was ever a rotten place to put a sub I found it perfectly. The sub I have is a Marty Cube the driver is a SI HT18D4 I read that this sub can go below 20hz. The box was cut out from a member of AVS. There are lots of great reviews on this sub. Today I am going to use the RTA as well as the Pink Noise in the REW and find the best spot for this sub. The crummy part there are only so many spots to choose from and considering the size some compromises will have to be made.
On the intial setting I read to set the amp as follows:
2nd order high pass at 20hz ( Butterworth, 12db / octave )
On the PARAMETRIC EQ tab, enter Filter 1, Gain -4db, Frequency 20hz, type: HS12

The first thing I am going to do this morning is figure out where the best place for the sub is then after try and figure out where to put my furniture. Finally run a measurement and hope for the best.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
The first thing I am going to do this morning is figure out where the best place for the sub is then after try and figure out where to put my furniture.
I laughed when I read that. Unfortunately that is the kind of thing we have to do some times.

There has to be a way instead of having 4 freq. that are between 74.7 and 98 that REW wants to change could I choose one in the middle adjust the gain and the Q so it would cover the width of those freq.'s?
Yes, on the EQ Filters Panel, any filter can be deactivated/activated via the check box on the left, then under Control, change from Auto to Manual, and you can play with its type and values as you wish.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today has been a long day I finally came to the conclusion that it is a very dumb idea to move furniture out of the room run the RTA and Pink noise and expect great things when you put everything back and make it look real nice!! I wasted 5 hours being rather disgusted I rcvd some suggestions from AVS and decided to try again this time I left the furniture in place as I ran the RTA once I found a good spot before I was done I double checked after I made sure all the furniture is where it is supposed to be ( doing this flat out stinks especially when you do it twice in one day ). Now I have a decent snap shot from the RTA. This is with nothing just the RTA no eq just the sub.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts
Are you saying that someone told you to empty the room before taking measurements? Yikes, the things people come up with. That would make a difference with a full-range measurement, and not in a good way, but is inconsequential with a subwoofer measurement.

Graph doesn’t look to bad, way better than the first one, at least as far as extension is concerned. But there is that null at ~44 Hz. Putting the sub in a corner often takes care of things like that.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wayne I do not want to disagree with you but that is where it was before not facing the corner but right next to it. One side was maybe 6" away from the wall the sub was facing the other wall maybe 8" away, I am not going that route again no offense. I do not think any one directed me to move all the furniture I just assumed that was the correct way to get a good reading. I learned never to do that again. I found a Bass Test on You Tube that starts at 2000hz and goes to 1hz, I am aware there are some DIY's that sound incredible but after letting this go down in frequency it was amazing the tone was pretty steady past 25 then the volume decreased but what was going on the room was nuts. Below 20hz to about 15hz the floor was shaking if the volume was turned up pretty high you could still hear it barely a little lower ( the emphasis on barely ). So for my first attempt at a DIY sub I am happy with it.
Norman:T

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Agree and Agree.

Whoever said to empty the room for measurements - let's just say it would be an interesting academic exercise with little practical value. Sorry, no doubt it was a lot of work and did you no good toward your goal.

Your last curve is a big improvement. Good work.

Edit: Oops, missed that last post. Live and learn, eh? A fun story to tell... well, WE enjoyed hearing it.

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts
Wayne I do not want to disagree with you but that is where it was before not facing the corner but right next to it.
So you’re saying that with the sub in the corner it was dead in the water below 40 Hz (first graph)? That’s highly unusual. Are you sure nothing else changed between the first and second graphs, except the location? E.g. high pass filters on the amp. Is there any openings in the wall between the corner and the two opposite?

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wish I knew how to use an online drawing board so here goes. My room is kind of "L" shaped. Looking down on the room the wall to the left is 16' ft ( approx from the 12' mark to the 16' mark there is a opening to the hallway which leads to kitchen and dining room.) At the corner of the 16' mall it goes to the right 6' stops comes back to a approx. 14' the wall continues to the right about another 12' at that corner is the picture window and that wall is 14' turning right again is the last wall 16'. The first graphs using the RTA and Pink Noise all I had in the room was a chair in the middle of the back wall facing the front ( stereo is in the 2' x 6' area ) and my sub. I wish it was lighter I think including the wood and the driver I am push the 90lb mark, so even moving it around on carpet is not all that fun. I checked everywhere except by 2 heating vents and 2 doors. Out of everything I checked I came up with 2 spots and went with the best out of those. After putting everything back in place I did another check and all of the time and trouble I took went right out the window. The place it is in now ( the last graph ) may not be perfect it has the 43-44hz dip or null? but it is narrow and comparing this graph to the first few graphs that had massive peaks frequency dropping off below 30 this one seems like it can be approved upon once I decide on whether to run a measure or adjust the distance setting on the Inuke DSP configuration setting. Regardless of all of that as of right now I am pretty impressed. My last so called 2 subs were both JBL's one was the ES250PBK and the other was a ES150PBK I was convinced these were great until I started reading. Even with both of those they still did not compare to what I have now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
So how in the world did you go from the results in the first graph to the results in the second graph? Do they look radically different to you? (Hint) not just the results but the graph settings. And then how would you expect to compare them?

Bob

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am no genius when it comes to this. The first 2 graphs that are identical I did the measurement with REW and saved the SPL reading. The last graph is after I figured out what I did wrong before and used the RTA. Prior to the 2nd and the third there were a few more when I first used the RTA the graphs looked great of course with no furniture in the room once I added furniture they came out shape wise like the first 2. So my mistake for not clarifying.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So you’re saying that with the sub in the corner it was dead in the water below 40 Hz (first graph)? That’s highly unusual. Are you sure nothing else changed between the first and second graphs, except the location? E.g. high pass filters on the amp. Is there any openings in the wall between the corner and the two opposite?

Regards,
Wayne
Hi Wayne
I will try this again, if you were to look at this mess. box the left side where it says message to where the 1st smiley face if you were to extend it out to where the title box is, the whole box would look like a "L" There is on opening along the wall going from as in the ex. from the title box down about 4ft. ( the 4ft is the opening going to the hallway ) the sub was located as in the ex. the bottom left corner facing the left wall ( 8" from the wall 6" from the Back wall ) also on the left wall next to the sub I had a love seat and from the seat to the opening to the hallway about 54". The only thing I changed the first 2 images were made prior to using the RTA the last image was after I figured out the best way to use the RTA was leave the furniture in place and just move the sub. I had a couple more images with the RTA however this was with out furniture and when I ran the measure and checked the SPL graph they looked identical to the first 2.

This is the very last image it may not be perfect but it will do once I get the second sub things should even out a little more.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts