Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Could anyone please help me with the following question:

I used REW to make filter files (44.1/32) for digital room correction. I use LiquidSonics Reverberate LE (VST plugins) to convolve my music files with these filter files to correct bass issues in my room.

Most music is in 44.1/16 format, but recently I upgraded my audio gear and I can listen now to 24/88.2, 24/96, etc. music files.

The question is: Will I be able to achieve better sound quality if I upsample filter files to a higher sample rate (to match the sample rate of music files) using a hi-quality sample rate convertor? Or, there won't be any benefit in doing so?

Thanks!

Eugene K

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
What you're suggesting sounds like simple oversampling, and would only be of real benefit if your D/A section doesn't have a very good reconstruction stage :bigsmile: Ever seen "16x" oversampling stamped on the box of a $30 dvd player?

Essentially, to enjoy 24/96 or 16/48 or other content better than 16/44.1, it should be recorded natively that way. You won't really gain anything by playing 16/44 conent over a 16/88 interface. You would buy a DTS audio dvd that is 24/96, or find the higher quality media from some other provider.

Also, that sounds like a convoluted (pun intended) way to acheive your filtering! Are you manually processing each music file or does that software do it in realtime?

I hope I answered your question and didn't ramble too much.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
If you have natively high-res media and you want to filter them, then yes you need filters constructed for the given high-res sample rate.

Filter coefficients calculated for 44.1KHz sampled data would not applying the same filtering on 48KHz sampled data.

Better answer? lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have natively high-res media and you want to filter them, then yes you need filters constructed for the given high-res sample rate.

Filter coefficients calculated for 44.1KHz sampled data would not applying the same filtering on 48KHz sampled data.

Better answer? lol
Thanks!

I wrote the same question to LiquidSonics and got this reply:

"The files will be sample rate converted by LE to the rate of your project, but if you find you prefer the sound of your external sample rate converter there will be benefit as there is no need for LE to convert them. It's getting to personal preference at this stage, the LE sample rate conversion is good, but you may prefer another. This kind of area is moving away from a science of what is provably better into the art of preference, so it will come down to your ears!"

It's a pity that Room EQ Wizards does not export filter files in 88/32 or 96/32 format.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts