Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first filter applied and the resulting measurement isn't too bad (first attachment). But then I connect the mains and whoops!, a nasty dip at 82Hz (second attachment). I should mention that, at this point, Audyssey is turned off and tone controls are disabled. I have manually set all my speakers to small and the x-over at 80Hz. Since my dip is at 82, I tried various x-over points on either side of 80Hz and settled on 100Hz (for now). The final graph is Audyssey flat, 100Hz x-over and all speaks set to small.

Now, this Audyssey curve was derived from before I EQ'd my sub. I obviously need to re-do my Audyssey and I will (hopefully, it'll fix that nasty dip at 151Hz), but before I do, I want to run something by you all. In the past, Audyssey tended to knock my sub levels down. I'm hopeing this had to do with the peaks from the room resonances and will be less of an issue now. But I'm wondering if I should "game" Audyssey a bit? That is, apply a filter without the house curve, run Audyssey and then apply the filter with the house curve. My thought is that Audyssey will see the level of the sub without the house curve, set it's levels and then I come back with a bump in the bass.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Thoughts?
I don't see any problem with tricking it a bit by taking energy out of a peak and then running the Audyssey. Then tweak with REW after. The usual fare seems to be that people run Audyssey first and then work with REW to change the low end, but whatever works.

I'm never thrilled about a 100Hz cross. I think it localizes the sub too much. In addition to phase adjustments to correct the dips around a crossover cause by interaction between the sub and mains, you can also alter time delay on the sub using your receiver trim for distance. This can be quite successful.

brucek

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm never thrilled about a 100Hz cross.
brucek
I'm not too thrilled about it either, but I'm even less thrilled about a ~20db notch at 150; as narrow as it might be. My sub only has a phase "toggle", being (I assume) 0 and 180. I'll try reversing phase as well as moving the sub around a bit. I also need to see what Audyssey will do with the EQ'd sub. I don't want to jump to conclusions using a curve set before I EQ'd the sub.

What I also need to do is some listening, since that's what this is all about. I'll post the results of my experiments as they become available.

Thank you,

Michael

1 - 3 of 3 Posts