Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all of the sweat and tears my 120" sintra screen is complete. I did the frame out of 1x1 Sq aluminum tubing. The border was 3 1/4" pine baseboard trim, covered in the triple black velvet by SY. I sprayed it with my newly acquired Graco 2900 refurb sprayer with SW ice cube which is an N9.5. Its awesome can't wait to get the projector setup from my living room upstairs to the basement

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I'm guessing different batches will vary in shades? I actually don't know what the munsel scale is of my quart, mech just gave me a list of SW light grays and that's what he put for the munsel. It def does darken the blacks even being very light as I had put a small sample up against a kilz white primer screen.

For anyone wondering about my screen color choice, here goes. I have experimented with white primer screens and all different shades from really dark to light. Due to the fact that my Epson 8350 is mounted at 18ft from the screen, when the bulb gets over 1000 hours the picture becomes waay to dim for my liking on a darker screen. Also I have watched on a pure white screen with lights on for some time and I think it looks fine so I chose to just do a light gray just to help out with the washout and blacks a little

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot. I'm proud of it. Its a little close to the ceiling but I don't mind as I did not want to sacrifice the size for the light reflections from the ceiling. I plan to see how it looks fully dark and if it's a big problem I'll do something with the ceiling

I'll try and get some pics of the frame when I take it down as I have to just do some touch ups on the fabric as some strings hanging from the back at the cut edge. Gonna tape the edges so it doesn't keep fraying.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Ok so I'm guessing different batches will vary in shades? I actually don't know what the munsel scale is of my quart, mech just gave me a list of SW light grays and that's what he put for the munsel. It def does darken the blacks even being very light as I had put a small sample up against a kilz white primer screen.
Yes, there can be a slight shade and color difference between cans of paint, even the same brand made to the same tint formula. This is why we try to get everything as neutral as we can; so these differences rarely become a problem.

For anyone wondering about my screen color choice, here goes. I have experimented with white primer screens and all different shades from really dark to light. Due to the fact that my Epson 8350 is mounted at 18ft from the screen, when the bulb gets over 1000 hours the picture becomes waay to dim for my liking on a darker screen. Also I have watched on a pure white screen with lights on for some time and I think it looks fine so I chose to just do a light gray just to help out with the washout and blacks a little
Yep, even a very light gray like N9 would help with black levels and improved perceived image contrast, even though without something whiter to compare it to it an N9 will appear to be white itself. Glad you're liking your screen! :T

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The screen ended up costing me about $230 not including the sprayer. When I was first planning the build I had access to a professional sprayer but they moved and so I bought the sprayer. At the same time I will be using the sprayer for many other projects that I have to complete so I needed it anyway.

• 6mm sintra $70
  • Baseboard trim x 32ft $44
  • Fabric @ 4yds $40
  • Paint x 1 quart $15
  • Aluminum tubing $40
  • misc $20

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was getting quotes from plastic suppliers for over 200 and I gawked. I had totally forgotten to ask my buddy whose dad owns a machine shop that uses a lot of plastic/abs and he got it for me from his supplier

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Nice job, The screen looks great...:T

1 - 20 of 21 Posts