Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At long last the Econowave Altec 414-8B project is finished. This was all designed by Zilch on the Parts Express Tech talk forum "Flex Your PCD Mettle". Many thanks to Zilch (RIP), Pete Schumacher and NeoDan for their patience. It has been quite the learning experience but also provided an excuse to get more woodworking toys.
http://imgur.com/a/23UkU#AoJ2drN

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Those look great man! Looks like you really took your time finishing them. How do they sound?

·
Registered
105 Posts
At long last the Econowave Altec 414-8B project is finished. This was all designed by Zilch on the Parts Express Tech talk forum "Flex Your PCD Mettle". Many thanks to Zilch (RIP), Pete Schumacher and NeoDan for their patience. It has been quite the learning experience but also provided an excuse to get more woodworking toys.
http://imgur.com/a/23UkU#AoJ2drN
Great looking speakers man, enjoy them!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Great job. There is nothing like the feeling of pride you get when building your own. :T

·
Registered
9 Posts
They look really nice.

Is that a pre-fab cabinet or did you build that part yourself? Either way looks great. I'd love to do a DIY.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Made those with my two little hands using MDF 3/4" (front baffle is MDF 1.5"). applied the cherry veneer using heat activated glue. Shellac sealant followed by three coats of gloss varnish and one coat of satin. Front baffle is removable.
Thanks for your interest.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Beautiful job, especially for a first timer. It looks like you've been building for years. I'll bet they sound amazing. Great Plains makes a great driver. I have several myself. I know you will enjoy, but give them plenty of time to break in. As I remember, those drivers take 40 hours plus to properly break in. Congratulations!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts