Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm finally upgrading my HT to HD. I'm pretty happy with my surround sound for the moment. Do you guys have an recommendations for a 50" tv for a living room? It will be used for games tv and movies, but movies are the most important. The room doesn't have the best light control so I do get some glare, but not too much at night. The couch is about 8'-9' from the screen. I'd like to keep it under $2k, what do you suggest?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I would recommend either Pioneer's PDP-5020 or PDP-500A. Either one of these will be an absolutely fantastic display. Pioneer has stopped manufacture of their industry leading Plasma's, but these are both available for the time being. The 5020 should be available at a steep discount at Best Buy.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I agree LCDs have less glare issues, although Plasma has greater contrast in most cases and can be found much cheaper than LCD for the size. Plasmas are also much heaver than LCD so if your going to wall mount them you need to make sure the wall is re-enforced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was planning on a stand that has a tv mount on a column like this one:

which has a 165lb capacity so I'm not too worried about the weight.

The glare in my living room is not too bad so I'd probably rather have the better contrast and wider viewing angle of plasma, but I'm still open to suggestion. Movies are most important but I do want to make sure that there isn't terrible input lag for games. If that means a game mode, even better.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I game on my Pioneer Elite plasma with no issues at all. During the daytime the TV room is pretty bright and I have very little issues with the glare department.

If you are a hardcore gamer, plasmas will also provide less motion lag compared to LCDs, too.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
My experience with Pioneer Plasma's mirrors Jon's in regards to using with video games.
The Pioneer 9G's really are spectacular displays. Especially with movies which seems to be the most important aspect for the OP.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I honestly believe it is one of the best displays in the World. Many believe the 500M actually looks better than the 600M. There is a burn in procedure for Pioneer Plasma's that make it resistant to burn in from video games. I will try to find the articles and procedures for that.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Hello,
I honestly believe it is one of the best displays in the World. Many believe the 500M actually looks better than the 600M. There is a burn in procedure for Pioneer Plasma's that make it resistant to burn in from video games. I will try to find the articles and procedures for that.
Cheers,
JJ
I think the concept here is not so much that the breakin procedure makes it more resistant, but is designed to put benign images on the screen with similarly benign picture settings to allow you to quickly get past the panel's infant stage where it is more susceptible. This can be done with just normal viewing, but the key is benign images and settings, such as staying away from much letterboxed/pillarboxed content, moving tickers, and other static images such as HUDs from gaming... for the first 100-200 hrs.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Rookie here-whats a 9G- isn't the 141 9G as well as the 600m?
Hello,
9G is Pioneer 9th generation Plasma Panel. The 600M was originally a ROW (rest of world) model that Pioneer has now made available to the US. It was initially aimed at the Custom Install market.
The M series have gotten rave reviews and generated a great deal of enthusiasm while being cheaper than the Elite models.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello,
9G is Pioneer 9th generation Plasma Panel. The 600M was originally a ROW (rest of world) model that Pioneer has now made available to the US. It was initially aimed at the Custom Install market.
The M series have gotten rave reviews and generated a great deal of enthusiasm while being cheaper than the Elite models.
Cheers,
JJ
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Moderator Emeritus
606 Posts
I second the recommendation of the 500M.

Its probably the best direct view monitor in existence today, at any size.

Just get it.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I agree the size difference might be tough to swallow, but the image quality improvement will be WELL worth it. If you really don't want to drop down that far, just go with the 600M or the 151FD or 141FD!

This is the first time in the last decade that I've kept a television for more than a year. It's been a year and a half since I first got my Pioneer 151FD and I still haven't found a TV out there that has impressed me as much.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Its hard to go from 65" to 50 "---have a large family room
Hello,
Well, if you want to keep the same size, Mitsubishi still makes 65"-73" DLP Microdisplays for less than the Pioneer's. I do not believe it to have nearly as good of an image, but you could get a 73" for the same money and will still look quite good if properly calibrated.

If the room you are setting up your HT is light controlled. That is you can make it completely dark, you could also get a front projector and screen for 2000 Dollars. Then, you would have a huge screen.

Unfortunately, many people do not have rooms that can be made completely dark or would face fierce resistance from the Wife/GF to make a room that dark to set up a completely dark room. However, if you can, having a 100"+ display can be quite a revelation.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
38 Posts
i am sold on the Pioneeer --- my wife hates the 151- the speakers on the end--- so its the Pro 141FD or the 600m with the patch for ISM modes--- but which one??????

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Robert,

Don't discount the 151 yet! The speakers on the side are OPTIONAL to put on! I don't because my wife and I agree with your wife about them being ugly!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts