Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Finally running the speaker wire but....

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  flash 
#1 ·
unfortunately I have to cross at a 90 degree several eletrical lines. I hope this does not cause any hum. There is no other way around it. I am running 12 gauge speaker wire cl3 rated. Anyone ever cross several lines of electrical wire and not have any hum. The electrical wire is in metal conduit and my speaker wire is in plastic blue smurf pvc. I guess my best bet is to actually try the equipment and see what happens. Do things like lights, apliances etc. have to be turned on to actually get a hum or is it just in general being in close proximity to those lines.

#3 ·
How close? Shouldn't matter, because at 90 degrees it won't pick up any stray fields. But almost 90 degrees is not 90 degrees, so even a small bit of separation will help.

I even have some runs where the power and signal line up for a couple of inches and there is no hum.

You will probably be fine, but it's good to consider all this beforehand.

#4 ·
Do things like lights, appliances etc. have to be turned on to actually get a hum or is it just in general being in close proximity to those lines.
The speaker connections are a high level interface.

You'd have to be arc welding on top of them before you'd ever induce any noise in a speaker connection.

You're confusing them with line level interconnections..

brucek

#7 ·
That brings up another questions. What about HDMI and Sub cable (rca)? Will those be affected by the Electrical lines. I will have one rca and one hdmi for sub and monitor and they will also be running at a 90 degree to the power lines.

#11 ·
Well, its all good no hum, but..... The speakers hiss a little bit. I think that is normal studio hissing when albums are recorded. Can really only hear it at low volume almost no music. After i turn it up you cant tell its there. If i stop the music there is no hum, so i guess i am good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.