Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally setup REW, my results. Anti-Mode before and after.

I finally got set up with REW today and took some measurements of the sonosub I built. I did some tests with and without the Anti-Mode. This room is completely untreated (it's not my theater) with lots of bare walls. Although the graphs with the Anti-Mode don't show a lot of differenct, there is a pretty big difference when I listen to it with some of my music.

Any thoughts on the graphs? I'm just getting my feet wet with actually measuring/calibrating with this stuff. I used to just move the sub around until it sound okay and left it be. I'm starting to think I may have the tune too low on the subwoofer as the output fairly flat to 14hz, but it doesn't hang around much past 60hz. It is a 12" driver and through WinISD and Sonosub.exe, I tuned it to 22hz. *I did make the port about 1/2" longer than it required, but I didn't think it would make a huge difference...

No EQ:

Anti-Mode 8033c correction

SPL comparison

I will run the tests again with the SVS and see how they compare within the next day or so.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jason,

Well – like you said, there’s virtually no difference between the graphs. I’m surprised you can actually tell a difference. Hopefully when you add the mains that nasty 85 Hz null will be covered?

Regards,
Wayne
Wayne,

It's surprising the difference I hear between using the Anti-Mode and bypassing it. When I auditioned for a friend, I played a track with it on first and when I played it bypassed, his eyes lit up.

As far as the null... When I moved the sub away from the corner and placed it midway on the left wall, it dropped off even more drastically. I'd like to bring my sub's output up from 55-80hz up to where the rest of the low end is before trying to mess with the mains. Tonight when I get home, I will run the same tests with one of my SVS PC12-NSD's and see how it looks. Aside from the 60-80hz range, does the repsonse seem decent?

I know this isn't necessarily the point of this program, put does it seem like the sub may be tuned too low? I did some guess work on the driver as It's a Klipsch driver that I did not have specs on (from and RW-12d). It's currently running a PE BASH 300S with the stock HPF, but I planned on changing it out to maybe 20hz.

I guess my days of the loud bass in my car in my teenage years took a toll. I was amazed at the measured output down low (sub 15-25hz) as I really can't hear it anymore. I can tell it's there and I do hear sound, but it's not a pronounced and deafening as 35hz is to me.

For reference, here is the sub I am testing: http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...ts/38138-klipsch-driver-stuffed-sonotube.html

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, I did some more reading about REW and think I've got it calibrated more correctly this time... I did a comparison with my Klipsch Sono before and after the 8033 EQ as well as the same with the SVS.

Here's what I came up with:

Klipsch Sono vs SVS PC12-NSD w/ NO EQ:

Klipsch Sono vs SVS PC12-NSD w/ Anti-Mode 8033 EQ:

Klipsch Sono before and after 8033:

SVS PC12-NSD before and after 8033:

Klipsch Sono Waterfall w/ NO EQ:

Klipsch Sono Waterfall w/ Anti-Mode 8033 EQ:

SVS PC-12 NSD Waterfall w/ NO EQ:

SVS PC-12 NSD Waterfall w/ Anti-Mode 8033 EQ:

I suppose my Klipsch Sono is doing pretty well and is a farily close match to my SVS.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After talking with Ed M. at SVS a bit, he recommended to close-mic the sub to get a little more information as well as find the final tuning frequency. It appears my guessing with the sub and the addition of making the port a 1/2" longer than required, I am tuned at 20hz. I'm not sure if I'll leave it or shorten the port to get my 22hz tune...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts