Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got REW working with an external sound card and the EMC mic and I started some scans. I disconnected all speakers but the sub and set the crossover to 200. Not sure if I should leave it at 80 as I normally do or not, but I thought I would see the response up to 200 this way. And I set the BFD in bypass mode. Is this the best way to proceed? In any case, I ran a scan witht this result:

I configured the filters in REW and it indicated this result:

I applied the filters and ran another scan with these results:

Better but certainly not what I expected. The REW prediction is not very close to the final result.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
and set the crossover to 200. Not sure if I should leave it at 80 as I normally do or not
No, the crossover remains at 80Hz and then you adjust to the 80Hz target that REW sets up for you. No reason to go to 200Hz.

When you've completely set up the filters for the 80Hz target, then you turn on the mains and do another sweep and see how the mains and sub integrate around the crossover. Sometimes at that point you have to do a little tweaking of the filters. Then that's it.

The REW prediction is not very close to the final result
Actually it's quite close since it only works on peaks and not dips. That part is for you to play with. Some dips respond to filters with gain and some don't. The ones that don't you forget about. Once you've been given the filters suggested by REW, then you begin to modify them and add more of your own on the REW graph until the curve closely matches the target (that's the fun part). Then you input those filters and retest and see how you've done.

brucek

1 - 2 of 2 Posts