Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished building a couple AV15H based PR subwoofers using a single AE AV15H and 2 18" Mach 5 Audio passive radiators.

Wanted to check the exact tuning point of the passive radiators, should be I think around 16-18hz, but not sure how I would go about doing that with REW?

Here is a naked close mic response with no HP and no EQ. Is the tuning 15hz where the phase changes?

Naked Close Mic SPL and Phase - AV15H PR.jpg

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, first non sealed sub I've built so a couple questions on EQ. DSP software (ALLDSP) only allows adjustments at 20hz and up, so plan on setting an HPF at 20hz (assume with a 12b butterworth and not 24?).

If I wanted to lower the tune, would I add a low shelf at 20hz and add boost? Can REW help with that if I wanted to figure out how to set it to 18hz for instance?

Been about 10 years since I've build and measured subs so back to being a newb!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just finished building a couple AV15H based PR subwoofers using a single AE AV15H and 2 18" Mach 5 Audio passive radiators.

Wanted to check the exact tuning point of the passive radiators, should be I think around 16-18hz, but not sure how I would go about doing that with REW?

Here is a naked close mic response with no HP and no EQ. Is the tuning 15hz where the phase changes?

View attachment 174938
Port (Passive Radiators) output is maximum where woofer output is minimum, You can see this in the impedance curve

Run an impedance curve, you'll see the woofer in enclosure resonant frequency and the port frequency. Also the woofer output is minimum where port output is maximum (A passive radiator is a port substitute).

View attachment 174938

1 - 3 of 3 Posts