Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking to pick your brains regarding finding the frequency response for the output or input of a device specifically; here's what I am trying to do: I want to equalize the output of my SoundMax HD headphone plug (on my laptop). I also have an Audigy 2 ZS Notebook which I do use often however on the go it is less than optimal due to 1 battery life and 2 it sticks out from the computer and I don't want to break it off in my bag (or by bumping it or w.e)

Anyways; I realize I can calibrate my inputs and outputs, the issue with this is that the nonlinearity of the output and the input are added together; great for figuring things out with a Mic, however when one wants to fix 'the output' for using headphones it does not work as well. Anyways; I realize this is not what the program was designed for however I am trying to use its capabailities to suit my needs :) The SoundMax card's output seems to be down ~7db at 20 hz with the measurements I have done (probably why the bass isn't great on my headphones with this card) anyways, any ideas or methods you have or have used that may help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help (and time) :)

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I haven't a clue how you could distinguish an input or output when there's a loop between them. The calibration compensates for the entire loop (which includes input and output).

brucek

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am playing with four measurements, one of the soundmax loop, one of the audigy, one of the soundmax (out) and audigy (in), and one of the audigy (out) and soundmax (in)... I'll figure something out... :D I think if I find the difference between various combinations I can find something pretty close to the real response... thus far, the soundmax loop and the audigy into the soundmax are incredibly similar (basically overlap) so it would stand to reason that the soundmax input is what is 'coloring' the sound

1 - 3 of 3 Posts