Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Long time reader, first time poster. I have decided to attempt to build a ported subwoofer using a spare driver I have. Its a Rockford Fosgate 12 inch Punch HE2 - model # RFP2212. I downloaded the owners manual via RF's website but the manual does not include all the parameters needed for WinISD. The manual does include box dimensions for a ported box tuned to 35Hz but I was hoping to go a little lower. Any ideas or suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
First of all Welcome to the forum ...:wave:

I have decided to attempt to build a ported subwoofer using a spare driver I have. Its a Rockford Fosgate 12 inch Punch HE2 - model # RFP2212. I downloaded the owners manual via RF's website but the manual does not include all the parameters needed for WinISD...
Contact the manufacturer and ask for that information, or you can do a google search and see if you're lucky to find the info :T

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike, thanks for modeling. That looks real nice. I am actually going to be making two of these, one for each corner of the room. I was planning on using the Dayton HPSA1000-R to power them both. Do you think that would be overkill? You modeled the sub based off of 300 watts input, but the pdf suggests 400 rms. Perhaps the 400 is grossly over rated? Also 42 inches worth of port in each box seems like alot. Is that because this driver really is not suited for the application?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The Dayton Dayton HPSA1000-R is 1000 watts into 4 ohms. The RFP2212 is a dual 4 ohm sub, so a parallel - series wiring will have a final load of 4 ohms. The modeling was with 300 watts as that is when Xmax is reached. Going over a bit shouldn't hurt. The HPSA1000-R would be a good match for 2 of these subs. The amp has a high pass filter at 18 hz, perfect for this application as shown in the cone excursion graph.

Fosgate Sxcursion.JPG

As for porting, a single 4 inch flared port would have a air speed of 30 m/s at 19 hz which is doable. Port noise shouldn't be a problem. With two 4 inch ports the air speed would be 15 m/s, well under the 26 m/s point where port compression starts.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Forget my WinISD noobness, but why not run a 7.5 cu ft box tuned to 22 Hz? The graph shows that the higher tuned box has an SPL advantage from 20 Hz on up. It is, in fact, exactly the same at 20 hz.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hmm, strange that your graphs look different than mine do using the same parameters. Is there a modeling difference between WinISD Pro Alpha and WinISD Beta?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright Mike, it's settled. A 7 cu ft box with dual 21 inch ports. Perhaps another noob question, but do the ports have to be a straight? Is it better for them to be straight? Feel free to ignore me as I am now taking up entirely to much of your guys time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike when you modeled this sub for me, did you fill in the field for the speakers displacement? Or do i need to account for it when building my box? I am assuming i would need to also account for the ports displacement...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike, I am bringing this one back to life. I was wondering if you could help me model the Rockford sub using a sealed box. The wife was not digging the 7 cubic feet ported option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well Mike, I did what you said sort of. I built the whole theater, less my two subwoofers. What I ended up with is two 4 cubic foot holes. Well short of the 7 needed for the initial design. Can we make 4 cubic feet work with this driver?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts