Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I have a build thread at The IB Cult forum, however I want to post here my finished product.
(well, I have to make the rectangular speaker cover still)

Here is my line array built with 4 x AE IB15's, my first DIY speaker project.

I've named this IB subwoofer "Usul", because I had to cut thru rock (concrete foundation wall) to make this project a reality:

Carpeting and wall acoustic treatments are a few weeks away.
Yet I am so please with the sound quality, clean, powerful bass presence.

Anyone considering to build a IB sub I highly recommend the AE IB15's, great value for the $$'s.
My total investment is around $1.3k, speakers, amp, EQ, mounting boards, hardware, speaker grille cloth, etc.
I am driving them with the Behringer EP2500 Europower Power Amp, EQ Behringer FBQ2496 Feedback Destroyer (not dialed in yet, I'm just learning REW)

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Not quite sure I understand your question but the voicecoils for each speaker is wired in series and then the grouping of four are wired in parallel. All speakers will be moving in or out at the same time. There is no push/pull in an IB.
Why couldnt you have push/pull in an IB. Ill you need to do is spin one (or half of) the drivers around. As long as they are mechanically in phase, in theory, the push pull should be the same as it is in any cab. The only thing I can think of, is that due to completely lack of any air spring, the push pull mechanics wouldnt work as they do in an normal sealed cab, which actually makes sense to me.

You could have the drivers in a push pull configuration easily enough, but I wander if the distortion cancelling effects would apply. That said, IB's dont need any of that anyway do they, as they are super clean anyway. Any who, here is a picture of what looks like a push/pull IB to me -

·
Registered
790 Posts
^^^ Any asymmetry in the motor/suspension will still cancel to some extent with that layout but I guess the difference would be less than with conventional size enclosures.

Vibration would be an issue with that layout compared to opposed in a manifold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is some really neat designs here, I definetly do not have the room in my house for one of these systems, but sure would like o hear one in the future.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
People seem put off by IBs and not that many people can easily accommodate them. On top of that, something like an LLT is a bit cheaper to make as well, so we dont see that many IB builds in general really. I plan to install one eventually, but that time seems to keep being put back.

·
Registered
443 Posts
{sorry for the delay, I didn't get email notification} :huh:

I agree an IB is kinda of a crazy, wacked out thing to have. They're also very hard to pass the WAF when you talk about cutting large (permament) holes in the house. ha ha

But I figured that SURELY someone had built one in the past three years.
My comment was more of a "bump", than anything. :wave:

Bob

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thanks Moonfly!
They're 15 inch "Sterling Augies" from Hawthorne Audio.
Actually, they're four of the eight prototype drivers in existance. As it turns out, the designer of the driver didn't decide to continue the model, so there will never be any more.

If you're interested, > HERE'S < the build thread from four years ago.

Bob

·
Registered
77 Posts
No new IB builds in the past three years? :huh:
I have IB project going on and it's only partly finished, so I guess I can post picture only from ready side to this thread.:nono:

I got yesterday two FI IB318 installed to new concrete floor, it's between theater and cellar. I also tested those yesterday and those sounds great, even room acoustics need lot of work before theater side is ready.

Here's my sort of build thread.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I have IB project going on and it's only partly finished, so I guess I can post picture only from ready side to this thread.:nono:

I got yesterday two FI IB318 installed to new concrete floor, it's between theater and cellar. I also tested those yesterday and those sounds great, even room acoustics need lot of work before theater side is ready.

Here's my sort of build thread.
One thing I haven't found an answer for is how you find the best location to install your IB.
Also do you have any measurements of how it behaves in your room?

All the best,
Bill.

·
Registered
77 Posts
One thing I haven't found an answer for is how you find the best location to install your IB.
Also do you have any measurements of how it behaves in your room?

All the best,
Bill.
In general it's best to test element or manifold position with box subwoofer. I couldn't do that because there was no floor at that moment and room will be twice longer when I found time to knock back wall down. So I relyed only to theory to make placement desision, elements are located 1/4 and 3/4 along front wall. That placement should be most effective against width modes that was my biggest concern since both side walls are rigid brick walls.

I have made few measurements and 5-60Hz is fine, but 60Hz and up have attenuation. Thats where back spaces width and lenght modes kick in. I have to build some structures to tame those standing waves inside cellar.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thought I would Chime in and share! My recent IB build is pretty much complete! :D

4 FI IB3-18s
Behringer EP4000 amp
BFD1124p
Multieq XT32

I installed some Sound reactive LEDs in the vents, for music and display, its fun.
Sorry about the mess....work in progress....

Without flash:

With Flash:

First measured room response, Multeq XT32 only:
Still tweaking tho :nerd:

:hsd:

·
Registered
15 Posts
@Rmb1080p

Like the idea of the garage being the on the other side of the IB.

Any issues with the garage door vibrating?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here is my 8 Fi Car audio IB3-18's in a 1547 cubic foot room. Powered by a Sanway FP-14k amp, Running in bridged 8 ohm operation or 8kw peak power.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts