Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange problem this evening, When using firefox I can go all over the place but as soon as I enter the Shack firefox crashes. I have gon as far as uninstalling firefox and reinstalling it and the problem persists. I am using internet explorer right now.
What could be the problem? any ideas?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Yeah... you could clear your cache and cookies in FF. I am running 3.0.7 right this minute with no issues. Generally if it were an issue with the Shack, it would affect all users with FF.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I did all that and still no go however my wife just told me that its happend to her earlyer today as well going to facebook and webmail so its something else. Its on a laptop with vista home basic. I'm going to run spybot and adaware and see if they find anything.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or Vista:devil:
LOL, so very true.
Whilst in FF, at the top, click on Help/Check for Updates..
I have the latest version, seems to be a bug on my laptop only. Its working fine for me this morning using FF at work. My wife is running spybot search and destroy as well as adaware so we will see what they fix.

Thanks for the suggestions guys:T

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
The other things to try are download the latest video drivers and if Vista has a driver rollback feature, like XP, then restore it to a date prior to when it started crashing.
Also I use Superantispyware, free for home users, and it has picked up things which other programs have missed.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I've tried everything I can think of including what you have suggested. I rolled back the laptop to Sunday (everything worked then) but still no fix Firefox is still crashing. I'm not sure what else to try. Should I roll it back even farther?

What I have done,
defragmented hard drive,
ran spybot search & destroy,
ran AVG,
Ran Ad aware,
installed older version of Firefox
and rolled back Vista to earlier date

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Hi Tony,
I googled it and there seem to be a lot of people experiencing problems with firefox crashing after running OK for a while. It may be that a microsoft automatic update has introduced some incompatability. :dunno:
Heres a link with a few more things to try:- http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla/topics/firefox_crashes_on_vista
Or this may actually be a better one. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_crashes

A few of the posts suggest it could be a problem with Flash. One of the staff here should be able to tell you if flash is used on the site.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yup, looks like a bigger problem than just me. I went to the Mozilla Firefox website and it seems others are also having issues like me. I posted a question on their forum.
Strange thing is it works fine on my other PC and my work computer as well.
You can follow the forum here There is at least 5 threads going about this right now.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Firefox has an IE tab plugin. You can download that and try to open it in the IE tab. That might work.

Matt

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I cant even get firefox to run anymore on my laptop, it crashes even before it fully loads and gives me the nice error report box.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, finally got it working. I had to go into the registry using regedit and delete everything related to firefox. Reinstalled an older version of Firefox (3.0.4) I still have on the laptop and everything is now working.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I should of posted this earlier. There is a software I use and love called Windows Intall Cleanup and it works great. It is much easier and safer :bigsmile:than doing it through regedit.

Matt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts