Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Re: Firmware 2.4 for 1st gen Toshiba A1, D1, XA1 HD DVD players

I'm getting more freeze ups with this last update. I have to power off and back on... then it works fine until powered off for while. That use to happen all along, but it seems to be happening more often now. :huh:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

I'm getting more freeze ups with this last update. I have to power off and back on... then it works fine until powered off for while. That use to happen all along, but it seems to be happening more often now. :huh:
Maybe a part is starting to fail? I would get a RMA # from Toshiba and send it in for repair. "Freezing" should not be happening. My XA1 has been practically flawless (can't remember the last hiccup). Had it since early May 06.

Another possibility is dirt or something on the Optical Pickup Unit (laser).
Can you hear the laser pickup head moving back and forth like a failed seek? Possible a DVD lens cleaner kit may help. :scratch:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

Actually I'm in the wrong thread... mine is the XA2.

The sound continues, but the image freezes... and while skipping chapters it makes some weird images before it finally changes.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Actually I'm in the wrong thread... mine is the XA2.

The sound continues, but the image freezes... and while skipping chapters it makes some weird images before it finally changes.
Have you tried an Initialize in the player Setup menu? (right next to the Update).

Using a HDMI connection? Is it good and snug and not losing any handshakes? With HDMI disconnected and using Component Video does the problem still happen?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

I did check all of my HDMI connections, but have not tried component.

What does Initialize do?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

What does Initialize do?
It resets the player back to factory default settings but the settings exactly match just what the new firmware needs. This may make a difference or may not seem to do anything to help. Just something to try.

Since this is the A1 firmware thread what follows is for a A1 or XA1. Other gen Toshiba HD DVD players are similar.
Golffnutt said:
1) Go to "Set Up" using the "Set Up" button on your remote.
2) Next highlight "Maintenance" and hit enter.
3) Next Highlight "Persistent Memory" and hit enter. You will then get a window that says Persistent Memory has been fixed.
4) Next go back to the "Maintenance" window again. Highlight "Initialize" and hit enter, you will then get a window that says " yes or no", highlight "yes", the player will initialize back to original factory default settings. This helps clear all previous updates except the one you just did, 2.4. Warning, before you initialize write all of your settings down as you will lose them when you initialize, you will have to go back and re-enter them after you initialize.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

New firmware 3.0 is out for the first gen Toshiba players. See first post in this thread. I don't know yet what they changed/fixed.

Edit: I updated via the internet (ethernet) tonight with my HD-XA1 and did a quick test. The player still plays a trial HD DVD fine (Pat Metheny Group -- The Way Up).

:T:sn:

·
Registered
969 Posts
I can't believe Toshiba is still pumping out firmware updates. Especially on the first gen players. I think all the first gens must be out of warranty by now. Most other companies would have nixed that right after bowing out.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Well,they do have good customer support in my experience, but I would not expect too many more updates. There should not be a need for many (if any) more at this point.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'm still waiting/hoping for a firmware update (related to Toshiba's new DVD / HD initiative) that will allow playing video recorded on USB memory sticks that get loaded at a store's movie kiosk or via an internet download. This would be a natural use of the two USB ports on all HD DVD players.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I'm still waiting/hoping for a firmware update (related to Toshiba's new DVD / HD initiative) that will allow playing video recorded on USB memory sticks that get loaded at a store's movie kiosk or via an internet download. This would be a natural use of the two USB ports on all HD DVD players.

That's a good one. Although, considering all the other a/v components out there that have USB ports with little to no capability, I would not hold my breath for upgrading a format that is largely abandoned. I use a Samsung 5000 now for both HD DVD & BD, but still don't have the heart to part with my XA1. Xlnt player!
And I don't know how long it will take for BD players to have full on-board decoding AND analog 5.1/7.1 outputs.
You either pay a lot, or forced to upgrade your a/v receiver to use HDMI 1.3.
That's part of the problem when you only have one game in town. Let's be thankful things did not go 'blue' any earlier, and we would have even less for the same money we have to spend today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sorry for digging out this old thread, but since "bobgpsr" is no longer active I would like to ask if anyone still have the latest update iso for the Toshiba HD-A1
thanks in advance and a great weekend for your guys !

21 - 34 of 34 Posts