Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody. I'm very new to all of this, I will do my best to be as precise as possible. I bought a NanoAVR HD in the hope to improve my systems sound. I've read a load of tutorials, which aren't always as clear, but still remain with alot of questions. I will go through the steps I took to get to my first measurements.
I reset speaker levels and delay EQ on my AVR (NAD T748). I then set speaker levels using gain control on the NanoAVR as well as delay/distance and then made baseline measurements. One measurement per speaker and all in the same position (could not find concrete info on measuring positions or how to handle them).

Then I let REW auto EQ make filters, added 1 or 2 of my own. Then set levels again and did another measurement. The result can be seen. In my opinion it lacks bass, not the low end perse a bit mid end I think. Not sure how to describe all of this. I will include a few screenshots and the REW mdat files. Any tips/hints are very welcome. Thanks in advance.

This is the baseline reading

And mdat data
Baseline Mdata

The measurements after applying filters

After correction mdat
Mdata after correction

The minidsp settings

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hello, It looks quite bad! If your target level in the first graph is 91.47db and in the second graph is 80.90db ( that is the horizontal line), Then I say you are quite a bit off!
Which color line should we be looking at?

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I set speaker levels at 75db at first measurement. Rew recommended a target of 72,8 for front left so I kept that number for the rest of the speakers as well. No idea if i should have done that. Should I have set levels before or after doing correction? Should target be the same for all speakers?

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
The target level for EQ purposes is for the specific measurement you are correcting, after correction the receiver level trim for that channel will likely need adjusting to rebalance it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The target level for EQ purposes is for the specific measurement you are correcting, after correction the receiver level trim for that channel will likely need adjusting to rebalance it.
Ok, so I let REW set best target level, then after correcting set correct speaker levels on receiver. Would it matter if I set speaker levels on the AVR or the minidsp? When I started I used the signal generator to set volume of receiver to 75db, -20dB on receiver volume in this case. Should I then leave it at -20dB and set levels in AVR or minidsp to again match 75dB or just turn up the volume? What is the difference between setting levels on my AVR/minidsp and just dialing up volume on the AVR? I could not find an answer on this. I would guess leave it at -20dB and then set levels on AVR/minidsp, in this case the minidsp (as shown in the screenshot of the minidsp settings).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, good to know. After some listening it does sound alot different from before. More detailed it seems. Do the graphs look ok? It needs to be as flat as possible right, I can't seem to get it really flat without alot of filters.

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
No, the goal is not to get response as flat as possible with a zillion filters. The goal is an audible improvement. To achieve this, typically all that is needed is to address the worst problems. Using a 1/6 or 1/3-octave smoothing like you’re doing will get you a graph that looks more like what you’re actually hearing. See this thread for a case study in full-range EQ, and also my piece on minimal EQ, which you can find linked in my signature.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
38 Posts
saajk2k you said post equalization it lacked bass. Looking at your pre-eq graph, from 300hz moving left to the intersection with the sub plot the spl increases. In your post eq graph it appears opposite. I don't have experience beyond my own system, but I would think the post eq would sound lacking in bass compared to pre-eq. Also the slope of the spl drop-off of your sub is similar both pre and post eq. It makes me wonder if you still have the crossover set in your avr and if you do, would you want to do that when using a mini dsp with bass management engaged?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
saajk2k you said post equalization it lacked bass. Looking at your pre-eq graph, from 300hz moving left to the intersection with the sub plot the spl increases. In your post eq graph it appears opposite. I don't have experience beyond my own system, but I would think the post eq would sound lacking in bass compared to pre-eq. Also the slope of the spl drop-off of your sub is similar both pre and post eq. It makes me wonder if you still have the crossover set in your avr and if you do, would you want to do that when using a mini dsp with bass management engaged?
I think I might have set highpass filters the wrong way. I tried again to do some eq today. But it doesn't really sound like an improvement. I'll tell which steps I took and maybe someone could correct me if I am doing something wrong. I disabled bass management, delay and levels on my avr. I then generated a pink noise over the FL channel and turned op avr volume to 75dB. Then I measured all channels at that avr level. I then let req do auto-eq following the minidsp guide. Only changes i made to rew are per instructions, namely change HF fall start to 2000Hz, HF fall slope (db/octave) to 1. Filter match range from 80 to 10,000hz (except sub, I set that to 15-200). I loaded the eq filters into the nanoavr, I then used the pink noise generator to adjust all speakers to 75dB level. Is this the correct way? If it is how come there is no improvement? I will capture and some graphs from this attempt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have not yet set speaker delay and HF/LF filters. This is before and after eq. After I set each speaker to 75dB and did the measurements.
Before

After

Legend

1 - 11 of 11 Posts