Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've finally had time to run REW and check out how my SVS 20-39 plus is performing in my room. The room is about 2700 cu ft "L" shape and opens to a kitchen and hallway.

The sub is in a corner and I really can't move it due to keeping the wife happy.

I wanted to ask the very helpful members in here for their opinions and suggestions.

Samsung FP-T5884 58" plasma, Denon 3808CI receiver, Samsung BDP1400 Blu Ray player,Sony PS3

Infinity Beta 50 mains, Infinity Beta 360 center, Polk Audio Monitor 30 surrounds, SVS 20-39PC-Plus subwoofer

Brighthouse HD DVR, Logitech 880 Remote

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
You have a wide peak between ~35-60Hz, but it isn't that bad. I might take some measures around the listening area to see how that peak responds to positional changes in the seating. If you can't move the sub or the listening position there's always EQ, but I would hesitate on that, given your rather good response without...

Add the mains and take another measure and see how the crossover looks.

brucek

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Bruncek. I just had time to quickly try and lower the wide peak ~35-60Hz with the built in filter on the SVS sub. I could probably get it a little flatter with a bit more time tweaking.

06-03-08-filtered.jpg

I'll try take some readings with the mains later on tonight, the family came home so I had to pack up the testing this afternoon.:sad2:

I was wondering what your opinion is on the remaining peak at 84 and 98Hz. Are those two peaks large enough to worry about. They don't look to bad once I select 1/3 octave filtering.

06-03-08-filtered 1-3 octave.jpg

I am probably going to try and use a house curve, as I find the bass a little lacking to my tastes with the current setup. Do I need a BFD or could I get away with just boosting the sub level?

Thanks again for your time.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I was wondering what your opinion is on the remaining peak at 84 and 98Hz.
They aren't a concern until you add the mains and see what happens. Any after the crossover is pretty much ignored until you run the two together. Often the phase adjust will clear any crossover problems once the mains are added.

Do I need a BFD or could I get away with just boosting the sub level?
Yeah, you may get away with just boosting the sub a bit once you see how it looks with the mains. It's really quite a good response. It would be a shame to stick a digital device in that line.

brucek

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a chance today run some more sweeps. The results are as follows.

These first two below are on the sub only with just the AVS internal filter smoothing the 35- 50hz rise.

The first graph is the raw result.
06-04-08-filtered.jpg

And this graph is with 1\3 octave filter applied
06-04-08-filtered 1-3 octave.jpg

This graph is with the mains running and a room curve applied as well.
060408 15-200hz hard knee final.jpg

And the same with 1/3 octave smoothing
060408 15-200 kz 13 octave hard knee final.jpg

And finally a full range sweep with 1/3 octave filter applied.
060408 full sprectum hard knee final.jpg

I'll still do some tweaking and fine tuning and see if I can smooth out the mains a bit, but i'm happy with the results over all, the sub has good response to 13hz.:yay: I haven't bothered to try blocking one of the ports on the sub to raise the bottom end, it seems fine to me how it is now with the room gain. I might give it a try some day when I have some free time.

I haven't had a chance to demo much listening material out yet, but what i have listenend to sounds very nice. There is no boom and the bass is nice and tight.

I'll try and watch a Blu Ray tonight and give the set up a good work out.:devil:

Thanks again brucek for your valued input.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Yeah, looks quite good. I suspect you're using a Radio Shack meter for measuring, since you have the standard ~5KHz peak........ Normally we recommend stopping at ~3KHz with an RS meter......

brucek

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I am using the radio shack meter. I'm a little surprised at the peaks and valleys in the mains. I figured audessy would flatten them out better. Either way they still sound pretty good so far.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Yes I am using the radio shack meter. I'm a little surprised at the peaks and valleys in the mains. I figured audessy would flatten them out better. Either way they still sound pretty good so far.
Nice response :yes:

Do you have any accoustical treatment installed??? ... just curious :hide:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have any room treatments in place. I was actually expecting to have a much worse room response.

I did mess around a little more last night. I did find with some music/movies the bass seemed a bit boomy at times. I tried setting my crossover to 60 hz from 80hz and the the results have improved. I will try to take some measurements and post up the graphs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts