Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys newbie alert first and foremost.

I am looking to incorporate a sub-woofer into a window seat that has yet to be built. I have never done this before so any and all suggestions would be helpful. I am probably going to let my receiver handle the crossover. I hope to use the KISS standard on this project.

Here is a little information about the room. The room is 16ftX27Ft but it is also open to the kitchen and sitting room that is 12X28. My mains are 5 mirage omnisat V2. driven by onkyo tx-nr1007b. I really not looking for massive rumble just a nice extension of my mains.

I am thinking about using this driver, Dayton RSS265HF-4 10" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm.
I would like to use a rack mount amp because of heat.

Thanks

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hi, how big can the box be and what's your budget for the hardware ie driver and amp?

Oh and where are you located?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would like to keep the Driver/amp cost under $400, but less is alsways nice. itself is going to around 28" wide 22" deep and 12" to 14" tall. I am in Nashville, TN.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had not thought about that. However, if the legs are two or three inches would that lesson my volume too much. Also, which is better two 8" or one 10". with a down firing sue I might be able to use a 12" driver. what is your opinion of amps. Can you put a plate amp in a HT cabinet or do I have to get rack mount?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
28" wide 22" deep and 14" tall including 3" legs would be about 2.5 cu.ft. net volume. Green is the Dayton sub and Dayton 240 watt plate amp. For $20 more yellow is the CSS SDX10 and Bash 300 watt plate amp. The Dayton sub can use a 4" flared port, the SDX10 would need a slot port which is simple enough to build.

Plate amps are the best value for your budget, you can build a box for it and place it anywhere as long as it mounted vertically for heat dissipation.

dayton.JPG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see the Bash amp can not seem to find the CSS SDX10 on the parts express site. I did find it on the CSS website though. Would you explain the slot vent to me?

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
A slot port has the same function as a regular round pipe type vent. Its square or rectangular instead and constructed within the cabinet using whatever material you use to make the cabinet. Slot ports can be easier to make if you need to put bends into the port, and can make better use of the space within the cabinet.

There are plenty examples of slot ports within the ported subs area you can check out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike I notice that you did the quartet 10 build. I think that I am sold on the sdx10, but I thinking about doing the kit that comes with the Reckhorn 403 external amp. I cant seem to find any info on the Shack. it is not much more money. the only problem is that it comes with 2 passive radiators that I dont need. Do think there would be a way to incorporate them in to the build that would be useful? And if so how?

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=A403

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would this work. if I bought the quartet 10 kit and did a front firing sub with the radiators on the bottom facing the floor. I have been playing around with Winisd and can not tell how to account for the passive radiators. my box dimensions would be 28"X13"X22". I also hope to use the Reckhorn 403b (even though I wish it had better speaker connectors) or the a1000.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts