Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Got REW hooked up this evening. My setup is a Denon AVR2800 feeding two different sets of mains. A pair of Energy Excel bookshelves and a pair of BES/Bertagni planars (NXT style, dipole) and a DIY sonotube sub (Apex Jr. INF10 driver) being fed by a Mackie amp. I'm using a SB X-Fi external sound card and the RS 33-4050 SPL meter on a tripod at my listening position.

None of the measurements look all that great, but that's to be expected in an untreated room w/ hardwood floors. My main concern is the major drop-off above 8k. Is that accurate, or a typical symptom of the RS 33-4050 SPL meter?

Here's the graphs:

The sub only (125hz XO).

So, the 78hz dip is a room node, right? Nothing to do there but move the sub around in the room? And what's going on at 45-50hz? Is that the port tuning?

Here's the Energy Excels. First alone, next w/ the sub

The BES have both Mid and Hi knobs on them. I played around w/ them and took some measurements at different settings.

This is the BES + sub w/ the mid knob at about 5% and the high knob at about 52%

And with mid - 50% and high - 100%

And the BES same as above, no sub

And just for giggles I turned both the Energy and BES on together. With and without sub:

So, to reiterate, my main concern is the massive drop-off above 8k. Any insight there?

Thanks!!!

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Don't the Radio Shack SPL meters all drop off at the high end? I thought that was normal. Is this lower than where it normally occurs?

I'm finally getting off my duff and trying to learn REW, so I am a newbie. So feel free to correct me! ;)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Yup, The RS meter is very lousy above 6K The Galaxy CM140 dose better until about 12K If you wnat accurate readings to 20K you need to get a Behringer ECM8000 but that requires a phantom power source.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts